Is a month ok to be drinking a beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As mentioned above, I don't see the point with a secondary except maybe when doing adjuncts.
With my beer, the lower the ABV, the sooner it's ready. Not a hard and fast rule. Lot of "drink it fresh" recommendations these days as well.
The tripels, stouts and Old Ales are good near the beginning but continue to get better with time.

Depending on the beer and yeast if u ask me some take a week or 3 to ferment then same to carb 1 to 3 weeks depending on what u use I bottle so I could be using kveik and be pouring after 2 to 3 weeks or u.s style and take 4 to 5 weeks

And on secondary I totally agree with it to help clear and reduce sediment

And on secondary I totally agree with it to help clear and reduce sediment
Racking to a secondary vessel also increases chance of infections. I have done this once or twice, but it's never made any difference to clarity. When I used to use plastic fermenting bins, I found it possible to see the shoe of the syphon hose and the level of trub through it, so getting sediment in bottles was never really a problem

To answer the OP's question though, according to author Graham Wheeler, the rule of thumb for maturing British real ales is one week for every 10° of gravity, so four weeks for a beer with an OG of 1040.

Racking to a secondary vessel also increases chance of infections. I have done this once or twice, but it's never made any difference to clarity. When I used to use plastic fermenting bins, I found it possible to see the shoe of the syphon hose and the level of trub through it, so getting sediment in bottles was never really a problem

To answer the OP's question though, according to author Graham Wheeler, the rule of thumb for maturing British real ales is one week for every 10° of gravity, so four weeks for a beer with an OG of 1040.
I agree about infection but I'm only brewing just under 2 years and I think I might not of had one yet had 1 undrinkable brew in that time which I put down to bottling too quick I normally have a length of rubber/plastic tubing just enough length to reach from one fv to other just touching the bottom with small mesh or muslin that have all been rinsed in starsan in same bucket its going into and it definitely reduces sediment and improves clarity

Amazing how beer changes as it matures, I bottle all mine and test at different stages, usual starting point is try the first one a week after bottling.
The 'brew book' is full of notes, surprising the difference of the brews when they're young, try the same batch a few weeks later and changed. A number of them have a note 'best young' or leave x no of weeks. I brew mostly pale ales, swapping around the hopping and yeasts, usually ABV around 4.5%.

Latest posts

Back