Is a RO filter worth it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have really hard water where I brew. Whilst I try to condition my beers for non porters and stouts, I was wondering whether it makes better beer by starting off with a "neutral" profile and adding whatever is needed. My favourite style of beer is Czech pils, helles, kolsch, that sort of thing which my water isn't great for.

My reading so far has made me think yes it is worth it, but would be good to hear what others on this forum think. My biggest worry is it will be another toy I buy, gets used 3 times and then forgotten about because the difference in the end product isn't that big and it just adds a lot of time to brew day.

I have a huge waterbutt I was thinking of storing the waste water in, and using that water to cool my beer at the end of the brew to minimise waste.

Would be good to hear if anyone here swears by them or if they aren't that great.

Why not try using something like tesco ashbeck water for a few batches to see if you notice a significant difference? That stuff is so low on minerals is practically like RO water.

Why not try using something like tesco ashbeck water for a few batches to see if you notice a significant difference? That stuff is so low on minerals is practically like RO water.
I have done previously and was happy with the results. Trouble is I don't like buying lots of water on a regular basis due to the amount of plastic I'll be going through.

I remember when I first discovered water profiles being important, I was trying to make an IPA but it kept coming out bad. I did 2 identical batches, one with Asda smart price water and one with conditioned tap water, the smart price water was better trying them side by side.

I used to have one when I used to keep tropical fish. If you're on a water meter, it'll cost you a fortune. There's no way you'll store all the waste in a water butt. I can't remember the actual figures, but they waste a vast amount of raw water to RO water collected.
My water rates were in the region of £350 per quarter. Bottled water would probably work out cheaper.
I sent a sample of my water to be tested to Murphy's, Murphy's Expert Lab Water Analysis and they send your analysis with instructions on how to treat it, don't forget you'll still have to add minerals to your RO water anyway. I think it was about £30, and worth every penny. Or there is a very good section on this forum which will explain a lot to you, although if you're anything like me, it's much easier if someone tells you to put xgrams of x in the mash, and x ml of x to the water volume.

I made the calculation, and for me, after two years I got the cost of the entry level system RO filter back. Also, less plastic 5l containers to dump. And it is also used for my wife's ironing water.

W.r.t. the waste water, I am in a bit of a lucky position that I can dump it in my rainwater cistern, so it gets reused.

I have done previously and was happy with the results. Trouble is I don't like buying lots of water on a regular basis due to the amount of plastic I'll be going through.

I remember when I first discovered water profiles being important, I was trying to make an IPA but it kept coming out bad. I did 2 identical batches, one with Asda smart price water and one with conditioned tap water, the smart price water was better trying them side by side.

100% agree with the plastic waste with Tesco bottles argument. I was suggesting this was an option to initially test whether the investment of an RO system would be worth it, i.e. would you notice an improvement in beer quality. So if you've already tried brewing with near RO water then really it's just a case of considering if the cost of the system is worth it. As @chthon suggests, it's a very long term investment so should be considered as such.

One other thing worth considering is I understand it take a long time to accumulate enough RO water to brew a batch so you need to be able to plan your brew days a bit in advance.

Also the harder your water is the more you will waste removing the solids, and I would guess chthon's water is not metered. I successfully brew lagers and pales using additions. Why not pop into a local brewery and ask how they treat theirs? (when we're allowed out again). I bet they neither buy water in or use RO.

I'd say it's worth it only if your tap water is unsuitable for treatment, which is probably only if you brew a lot of lagers and have high alkalinity water. Otherwise I would recommend learning how to treat your tap water appropriately, I'm not a big fan of building water profiles from scratch unnecessarily.

I'm brewing at my wife's farm now and they will get a meter soon so I guess that rules out an RO filter. I'll probably just carry on conditioning the water for now. I think my water is too hard for a "good" lager profile as when I use a water calculator it can't give me the required additions for that profile.

Also the harder your water is the more you will waste removing the solids, and I would guess chthon's water is not metered. I successfully brew lagers and pales using additions. Why not pop into a local brewery and ask how they treat theirs? (when we're allowed out again). I bet they neither buy water in or use RO.

Yes, actually it is. I use filter my tap water (very hard and high in carbonates here).

However, I use at most 15-20l at a time, and I can dump my waste water into my rainwater cistern, so it is diluted, and recycled for other purposes.

Is it possible to run the waste water through the filter again? Or is that water so concentrated with the things you wanna take out that it will be "hard wearing" on the filter?

I have really hard water where I brew. Whilst I try to condition my beers for non porters and stouts, I was wondering whether it makes better beer by starting off with a "neutral" profile and adding whatever is needed. My favourite style of beer is Czech pils, helles, kolsch, that sort of thing which my water isn't great for.

My reading so far has made me think yes it is worth it, but would be good to hear what others on this forum think. My biggest worry is it will be another toy I buy, gets used 3 times and then forgotten about because the difference in the end product isn't that big and it just adds a lot of time to brew day.

I have a huge waterbutt I was thinking of storing the waste water in, and using that water to cool my beer at the end of the brew to minimise waste.

Would be good to hear if anyone here swears by them or if they aren't that great.

When I'm brewing pils, helles etc. I use RO water bought from an aquarium stockist. It's about 14p a litre and I pick up 3 x 25 litres at a time. I'm in a very hard water area and use it at about 60 to 70% of my total water and do any further balancing if required with Brunwater. It saves the capital investment and the time in waiting for the RO water to get filtered.

David

When I'm brewing pils, helles etc. I use RO water bought from an aquarium stockist. It's about 14p a litre and I pick up 3 x 25 litres at a time. I'm in a very hard water area and use it at about 60 to 70% of my total water and do any further balancing if required with Brunwater. It saves the capital investment and the time in waiting for the RO water to get filtered.

David
I'm considering doing that once in a while. I think there's an aquarium shop near where I brew and can drive up with some brew buckets.

Latest posts

Back