Is anyone brewing anything from DIYDOG yet?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becausewecan

Reaction score
Hi

Ive been reading the threads on DIYDOG, and it seems the community is largely shoving it back in Brewdogs face because the numbers don't site right.

Personally, i think with the wealth of knowledge and experience here, if people are really interested in brewing the recipes, a few trial and errors will help fix the wrong bits.

So with that, i`m asking if anyone else has brewed anything so far?

Ive got a 2007 PUNK IPA on the go,as there were no hop alphas, i just matched the quantities with what i'd ordered rather than trying to fix anything and thought id see how it turned out.

With hindsight, it was probably a mistake to brew something that i can no longer get a sample of so i'll move onto the current version next.

Anyway - i seemed to hit my numbers which was good, fermentation is just about complete after 1 week @ 19degrees, currently the first samples taste bitter and sweet at the same time, nicely balanced but very little hop flavour and i remember the old punk really used to pack a punch. I used a lager malt as i could only see extra pale in 25kg sacks and didnt think i'd use 25kg until i get the recipe close to what im looking for.

I`ll probably chuck some of the leftover hops in if no hop flavours come out, and dial up as an experiment.. either way ive lost nothing, i`ll end up with a beer that i can drink, and am 1 step closed to understanding the brew dog recipe makeup.

I believe someone has already corrected all the mistakes by entering each recipe into a builder. I think the link is in the original thread

I am giving the Sunmaid rum and raisin imperial stout a try in couple of weeks time when I have a free weekend.

I ran the recipe through brewers friend and it gave an ABV of 18.43 due to the excessive amounts in the grain bill (14.75kg for 20L).

I have messed around and reduced the grain bill to around 8kg which brings the ABV down to about 10.3% (the recipe states 10.2%). As mentioned on the DIY dog thread, you need to read these recipes closely and look at adjusting the grain bill etc. before starting a brew.
I am using this amazing resource as much as a guide than a route to making Brew Dog clones. It is a shame that it is receiving such a negative response. I think they have done something very cleaver from a PR point of view but also inspirational for encouraging more people to get into home-brewing!!

My phone opened the document once, now it won't open it again :-( good job me pals printed it off ;-)

Is trashy blonde in there?

Oh and there must be two versions cause I have one downloaded at 20.45 mb and another at 18 mb

Maybe they've updated some of the mistakes?

Oh and there must be two versions cause I have one downloaded at 20.45 mb and another at 18 mb

Maybe they've updated some of the mistakes?

Good shout. The file name is now "DIY DOG 101". The SunMaid Stout recipe is identical, not sure about others.

Yesterday I brewed candy Kaiser which is an altbier I still have a few bottles of the original so I will be able to compare. It seemed a lit darker than the original so we shall see. I used the exact method and the OG came out spot on.

I've got a Russian Imperial Stout on the go. There were a few mistakes in the numbers but I tweaked it till it seemed about right. Had to substitute the yeast though as I couldn't get the recommended in my hurry to get it on so the results are anybodies guess! ;)

I had a scan through the brewdog beer ratings on ratebeer.com the other day, a good way to assess whether a beer might be worth making. Their ratings are incredibly variable. As you'd imagine.

A lot of their beers don't use loads of hops. I might try Edge, a low ABV beer. And the original Punk, but add the caramalt from the revised version.

"i`m asking if anyone else has brewed anything so far?"

No. But I probably wouldn't - too much wrapped up in my own beers (only a very few styles) & definitely don't want to end up with a vat of cr@p.
What I will do though is scan through the recipes. I quite like a couple of their beers, so I guess I'll learn something interesting & tweak my own hoppy beers. I'll definitely see if there's anything that looks unusual, but maybe appealing, and maybe take aspects on board..
I don't do a "normal" brewing process - after boiling the wort I simply put the lid tight onto my boiling vessel & leave it all to cool overnight or longer. So, normal recipes don't work for me with regard to hop bitterness or flavour. Hence, for a long time I've never brewed anyone else's recipe. but i do take new ideas on board!

I'm planning on doing Santa Paws for Christmas, but apart from that there are a few different beer styles and types I want to try before I give any of the Brew Dog ones a go (because I'm brand new to AG). Eventually I'll probably look at doing Dead Pony Club, Trashy Blonde and a couple of others.

Interestingly looking at their new corrected recipes, my adjustments to the Imperial Porter are just about right

Yep, I've done #215 - Jet Black Heart.

Kegged and carbing now.

I've only had the original on Nitro in one of their bars so I guess the bottle version will be a little different.

As for the recipe? Total IBU/EBC seemed elusive no matter what I tried using an array of software tools. So, brewed it as closely as I could to their published recipe with only a few minor tweaks.

My sample at kegging time was good, all chocolate/espresso/toastyness... back finish of red fruits. Good body/mouthfeel. The Lactose dosing seemed light in the recipe and the sweetness it adds is very subtle.

After drinking Craddocks El Dorado at MABFEST in Coventry last month, I got my hands on some El Dorado Hops and have used #108 IPA is dead Single Hop El Dorado as a base.
I ditched the Caramalt and Munich(didn’t have any) and brewed to 1055 rather 1066. Otherwise followed timings and additions. Barrelled yesterday and maturing nicely. Not sure how effective dry hopping was as the hop sock were only partly submerged. Never tried the original brew dog but if it comes out as good as the Craddocks El Dorado I’ll be happy.

I'd like to try trashy blonde if it's in there. It used to be part of the core range. Was sad when they dropped it :-(

Latest posts

Back