Is anyone brewing anything from DIYDOG yet?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to try trashy blonde if it's in there. It used to be part of the core range. Was sad when they dropped it :-(

It is in there. Looked a nice recipe, another brewdog beer I've not sampled.

Now they've sorted out the errors it's a very useful resource. I've always liked Brewdogs brewing bravado, creating very different recipes, and I will certainly look for ideas from their recipes and try a couple of the recipes.

Well good to hear people are going for it.

I've been desperate to get my 2007 style punk ipa into the new keezer so after 1 week in primary, plus a few days dry hopping with 30g motueka and 10g cascade due to the lack of initial hoppiness, I transferred to a keg today, chilled and force carbed, couldn't resist starting to drink it. It's absolutely beautiful. Very cloudy but that's to be expected I'm hoping after a couple of weeks in the keezer it will clear down but wow. What a beer :) because I devia Ted from the recipe by adding the dry hops I'm labelling it ska ipa :)

I've just taken delivery of the Punk ingredients today. Probably won't manage to get to it until Easter though.

Never had the JBH, but I agree on the Dogma... that is an exceptional beer. I'd forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder. :thumb:

Something caught my eye when I was scouring the recipes... Dogma.. uses a very low AA hop for its bittering charge and... a lager yeast and low temp fermentation.

Both unexpected twists... and I'll likely tackle that one sooner rather than later.

Something caught my eye when I was scouring the recipes... Dogma.. uses a very low AA hop for its bittering charge and... a lager yeast and low temp fermentation.

Both unexpected twists... and I'll likely tackle that one sooner rather than later.

It makes sense. The Scotch ale style would typically use low AA English hops like Goldings. Lots of them adds flavour with little bitterness. Scottish yeasts have a lower fermentation temperature, so I guess they must have experimented with using lager yeast to see if they could gain some of the same advantages, eg. low esters.

Was looking at brewing their Weihenstephaner collaboration beer India Pale Weizen but have no idea how they've managed to get 85% attenuation from Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat.

Anybody any ideas?

Was looking at brewing their Weihenstephaner collaboration beer India Pale Weizen but have no idea how they've managed to get 85% attenuation from Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat.

Anybody any ideas?

Possibly by adding increments of sugar? That would help in theory and bump up the abv. I've been reading up on this as its common with Belgian yeasts, particularly for high abv beers like tripels.

Not sure you'd do it with a Weiss though?

Also I haven't checked this recipe but they mash very low which would help

More dextrose achieved by a lower mash temp then you think? I'd considered added dextrose but I would have thought they'd have included that in their recipe.

Anybody any ideas?

Probably/possibly a combation of things. As gareth says they probably mash really low. They possibly over pitch too as over pitching can lead to over attenuation - more yeast to do the work. If you have a google at 'over attenuation' It might come up with some of the things they did to get the attenuation so high. Normally over attenuation is seen as a problem but they may have done it on purpose

Thanks for your help guys.

I'd kind of ruled out over pitching as the beer has that characteristic Weiherstephaner banana aroma l, but I suppose they probably achieved that through ramping up the fermentation temp?

Latest posts

Back