Is beer in 3 weeks possible?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been caught on the hop and would like an extract IPA up and running in my corny keg in 3 weeks 14th march if possible. If I brewed this monday could U be drinking draught beer 3 weeks later. Possible? Or too ambitious???

Definitely doable. Brulosophy seem to do all their beers in next to no time.
I'd go for a 10 day brew, 3 or 4 days cold crash, force carbonate. I've done beers in 2 weeks and drank them 10 minutes after force carbonating. This was just thinking I am damn well having something on tap for Christmas day. By the time it had a week in the keg it was actually starting to be nice, but of course it was down to 2 pints at that point. So 3 weeks - definitely.

Yep, its defo possible and is pretty much my standard practise for avaerage strength brews. like Drunkula says - 2 weeks in FV including cold crashing at the end, then a week to come good in the corny.
To encouage a quick & complete fermentation I usually increase the temp in the brew fridge a few degrees after the initial vigorous stage has died down.

That's my usual time scale now I'm using cornies. 2 weeks in FV including a day or two to cold crash, then 1 week to carb and settle.
I did a double brew day two and half weeks ago, they were both kegged last weekend and I expect the hoppy IPA to be very drinkable this weekend. The darker ale may need an extra week.

yes hop a wheat beer although 2+2+2 is a widely recommend rule on here.
darker beers and high abv beers tend to need more conditioning time than light beers.

The quickest I have done is 8 days from brew day to drinking fully carbonated beer from a corny. Ok it might not have been crystal clear but was still good.
I used US05 and if I recall fermentation took 5 days with 3 days in the corny. I didn't have any temp control at the time but reckon fermentation was probably about 22c

Its do-able sure, the big boys get the casks out quickly..

However a lot depends on the brew, in my limited experience i had one brew that was quaffable from the keg within just about 3 weeks, and oh boy did i shout about it too !! I will sample early n often but generally find 4weeks or longer are needed once the keg is conditioned for it to mature, thats probably a side effect of my brew procedure/mash and batch sparge, as said the big boys get the casks out pdq..

fwiw my 1 early quaff was a smash brew with east kent goldings and fawcetts mo @ CIRCA 1.045 FERMENTED WITH S-04..

By all means accept the challenge but i wouldnt put all my eggs in that particular basket and would consider a standby solution just in case too, always better o have too much beer than not enough eh?

The quickest I have done is 8 days from brew day to drinking fully carbonated beer from a corny. Ok it might not have been crystal clear but was still good.
I used US05 and if I recall fermentation took 5 days with 3 days in the corny. I didn't have any temp control at the time but reckon fermentation was probably about 22c

When I only had 2 cornys I managed (needed) similar timing. Using Safale 04 in a brew fridge at 21’c it would ferment out in 3-4 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's definitely do-able. |What's the worst that could happen? (It could taste like s#1T....). No worries - tell 'em it's a craft beer!

Definitely.

When I brew a wheat beer, I tend to ferment for a week, 2 weeks max if sulphur smell hasn't dissipated, then condition for a week.

Hi All ,
If it's possible with all grain , no reason why it shouldn't work on an extract kit .
Though I'd only do it with a gravity at , or below 1.045° ,
Cheers
Edd

PS: Quite a few of the weaker old beer recipies I write are designed for drinking within 3 weeks.

Would these have to be carbed in a corny, or could 3 weeks work for bottle conditioned?

What yeasts would be best to use for fast ferment, and any particular styles best suited to this fast ferment?

Okay, I've read all the replies and I have to agree that "It is possible!" :thumb:

It's also possible to hold your breath for five minutes, run a sub four minute mile and swim the Channel in under a day; none of which achievements, although stupendous in their own right, automatically mean that you will enjoy doing them.

Personally, I consider brewing a beer ready to drink in under six weeks to be "rushing it" and try to avoid the experience by brewing well ahead of when I expect to drink something.

If you do manage to brew something palatable in less than three weeks then I hope you survive the experience ... :thumb:

... but as it matures you will probably wish you'd left it longer before you started. :wave:

Okay, I've read all the replies and I have to agree that "It is possible!" :thumb:

It's also possible to hold your breath for five minutes, run a sub four minute mile and swim the Channel in under a day; none of which achievements, although stupendous in their own right, automatically mean that you will enjoy doing them.

Personally, I consider brewing a beer ready to drink in under six weeks to be "rushing it" and try to avoid the experience by brewing well ahead of when I expect to drink something.

If you do manage to brew something palatable in less than three weeks then I hope you survive the experience ... :thumb:

... but as it matures you will probably wish you'd left it longer before you started. :wave:

Brewing a beer is like making love to a beautiful woman. You warm her up, stir her mash to get her enzymes flowing, drain her bucket before getting her fully boiling and then after an hour of vigorous frothing, plunge your coil until she collapses and lets all the coagulates sink deep inside her. Although she is feeling drained you still have to innoculate her with that special fungus that has been refined though generations to produce the most wonderful of juices.

But then some days you just want to bang out a quicky.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back