is it ok to store wine/beer in wooden shed during a scottish winter.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
First of all I live in Glasgow area so I don't live in the far north of the country.
I've just bottled 30 bottles or merlot & 30 bottles of nebbiolo.
My wine rack under the stairs holds 24 bottles which is fine but I don't have any room for more.
My bigger wine rack which I have never used is outside in the wooden shed.
My other 36 bottles have been placed in this.
Will it be safe to store these here over the winter period? As I just dont have the room indoors.
If not would wrapping them in bubble wrap or covering with cardboard etc be of help or will they be perfectly ok without doing this?
look forward to replies ty

Should be alright, Wine is pretty hard to freeze.

Still its a bit of a risk we might get a really nasty cold snap !!!!

At my old house my beer stayed in the shed year-round. It was the summer that caused problems rather than the winter.

From the internet (so it must be true)

When Does Wine Freeze?

Well, once again, this depends on the alcohol content. Since wine usually has between 12 and 15%, we will go with an average of 13.5%.

First of all, ethanol itself (the actual alcohol) freezes at -144°C or -173°F. This temperature is ridiculously low, even humans can’t stand it. But fortunately, this is only the case when we are talking about pure ethanol. And we already know that wine isn’t just that.

But if we take the average alcohol content of 13.5%, then it will likely freeze at around -9°C or 15°F.

I had a bit of a problem ABV wise as the OG was only 1070 and finished at 1000 which I think is around 10% I added (as advised on here) 400g sugar water mixture to 5 gallons to try get the alcohol a bit higher. Whether it has or hasn't I dont know...........But I dont think a shed goes to those minus temps does it? Hopefully not

At my old house in NE England my Dads homemade beers and lagers could start freezing in a brick built garage with an asbestos roof.But these were really cold winters.which we don't seem to get these days.

Since i have no REAL idea what this winter will be like its hard to say.

Wine should be safer than beer,by virtue of its higher alcohol content But as i recall you put a lot of angst and effort into that wine so is it really worth risking it,

Some sheds seem to stay warm. does your shed get any direct sun in winter? Is it reasonably wind proof? If it has a stone or concrete floor store bottles well above ground level. Put a garden thermometer near the bottles and panic only if it gets below -5°C.

its a fairly new wooden shed (3 years old) 8' x '8 its in a position where the sun gets to it most of the day It has a wooden osb board floor + tongue and groove chipboard which I put on top....Iplan to line the walls and roof with osb but that wont be until next summer..The shed flooring sits on thick wooden decking joists id say were around 6" to *2 thick which on turn sit on a slabbed patio area.

its a fairly new wooden shed (3 years old) 8' x '8 its in a position where the sun gets to it most of the day It has a wooden osb board floor + tongue and groove chipboard which I put on top....Iplan to line the walls and roof with osb but that wont be until next summer..The shed flooring sits on thick wooden decking joists id say were around 6" to *2 thick which on turn sit on a slabbed patio area.
Those points make it a good place to store the wine. As you are in an urban area you should get milder winters than us hicks.

i dont actually live in the city itself im a few miles outside in lanarkshire in a large housing scheme....

Good point Paul

TBH I don't know if going cold then colder does much damage.???

But i do know going warm then cold cycles will damage the wine
The optimum is a steady 50f

Back