Is it oxidised?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezza

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello I racked a batch of Pale ale to PB in November and when I had a taster tonight it had a strong Apple flavour making it unthinkable though perfectly carbonated,the bottles I filled at the same time are perfect....what happened with the PB?.

It sounds like you have Acetaldehyde which is a compound that produces green apple flavor and aroma in homebrew, and is a by product of fermentation. Acetaldehyde is formed during the conversion of sugar to ethanol by yeast.
Some of the common causes for an incomplete fermentation include not pitching enough yeast up front, yeast that starts out in poor health, failing to aerate your wort which will impede healthy yeast growth and also halting your fermentation too soon. You can also get the “green apple” flavor if you have poor temperature control during fermentation which can drive excessive acetaldehyde production or prematurely stop fermentation. Finally you can get it by pitching finings too soon – which can force the yeast to flocculate out before fermentation is complete.
Oxidisation is usually a wet cardboard taste with a darkening of the beer sometimes going to a mucky brown in colour

Thanks for that,but why do the bottles from the same batch taste ok?.

Maybe it is a infection - it is very hard to diagnose exactly what it may be but the obvious suggestions will help you to eradicate what it is not. Do you bottle in exactly the same bottles i.e are they all dark glass and stored in the dark also if you do it may suggest a infection that is in the actual bottles and maybe thats why some taste ok and others not. It will be by eradicating what may have happened in your process by suggestions from other brewers that will possibly give the answer, it is sometimes frustrating and can cause a lot of head scratching but I am sure between all of us we will make a suggestion that fits the cause

I've Solved the mystery,I threw away the beer in the barrel and when I was cleaning it out found a small split in the bottom,
? time for me to move to Cornies.

Yep I knew the risks of PB's but this was only the 2nd time I used it,thought it would be more robust.

Thanks for that,but why do the bottles from the same batch taste ok?.

I've got the same problem and I just can't get to the bottom of it. Happens every time I use the plastic keg, whilst the bottles are fine. I posted a thread on this a few weeks ago as I had one last go at using the keg and sure enough, the beer in there developed a TCP taste whilst the bottles were fine, even after blitzing the keg with bleach to clear out any sign of infection.

I hope you find a solution but am pessimistic that you will, given my situation: I've been trying to fix it for 2 years.

darrellm. check your barrel for splits that's what caused my beer to go skanky.

I'm now thinking to forget plastic and move on to a Dark farm 10 Litre keg.

Cornies are the way to go, I know they are creeping up in price but they are as good as Gold in the bank or Bit coins I can never see them going down in price so don't think of the money as lost you are just the trustee until you re-sell them at a handsome profit. I have eleven and paid @ £30 for most of mine years ago it'll now pay my funeral cost when I go

Thanks I get what you're saying it just seems less faff with the Dark farm keg.

By all means look into every option and it is the one that suits you best that matters just don't go that way if you may go Cornies in the future as it will be more expensive as the cost of changing one system for another plus if it is in the future Cornies will only go up in price. Why not start another thread and you will get plenty of advice from several members " Dark Farm 10 Ltr keg Versus Cornies" 👍

darrellm. check your barrel for splits that's what caused my beer to go skanky.

I've got 3 of them and they're all the same, they also hold pressure so unlikely to have a split.

I've just moved over to those 10L mini kegs and they are way better, or cornies if you have the space for a full setup.

Back