Is it possible to fill bottles from a cask-conditioned cask?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyuptm

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, not strictly a what I'm drinking query, but can't seem to find the "post new thread" button... Is it possible to fill bottles from a cask-conditioned cask? I ask because I may have the chance to buy a 9gallon pin (??) from my recently-closed pub, and have loads of bottles. The beer is Knight of the Garter, a light golden hoppy job... Tia...

Hi eyuptm
Is it possible to fill bottles from a cask-conditioned cask?
... I'm sure there are methods available ... I have bulk conditioned/aged beer in a plastic pressure barrel, in the past, and bottled from there ... to do that I've set the PB up somewhere and let it settle, I've then broken the seal on the PB to (deliberately) let the beer go flat overnight, and the next day I've rigged up a sterilised tube and bottling wand connected to the barrel tap and used that to transfer the beer into primed bottles ... then I'd capped the bottles and let them go through a 2 weeks warm and a week or two cold conditioning process, as if I'd just bottled a freshly fermented beer, before starting to drink wink...

Do you think you might be able to do something like that with this "Knight of the Garter"?

Cheers, PhilB

I use flip-top bottles which gives me another option. Don’t even think about this unless you use flip-top bottles!

Bleed off the pressure in the keg and then immediate fill the bottles - gently so as not to introduce air. You will prime with half as much sugar because there’s already dissolved CO2 in the beer - this makes it exciting! Don’t drop the sugar in each bottle until you’re ready to flip the lid on that bottle - please.

Drop the sugar in and immediately fit the cap or you will get an eruption of foam and beer.

D’you feel lucky? :cool:

Well, thanks all for your replies- what I actually did was decanted from the cask into a new Wilko PB that I forgot I had, and served from that. Topped up every couple of days with an S30 soda stream capsule, and it's worked brilliantly! Who knew, though, that co2 capsule come in different sizes??!! 8g on right, 12g on left!!

Attachments

• 15857686412443887456837003440554.jpg
    15857686412443887456837003440554.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Back