Is it ready for bottling?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doram

Reaction score
I brewed a TT Landlord imitation from an extract kit with 1469 West Yorkshire Ale liquid yeast. OG was 1.042 (exactly as the recipe said).
3.5 weeks from brew day, and I still have airlock activity. Gravity is 1.011 (recipe said it should be 1.09). 10 days ago it was also 1.011 (so stable).
Is this ready for bottling? Is it an issue that gravity is a little higher than indicated by the recipe? Is there a chance it will drop further if I wait? Is it normal to have gassing so long without gravity change (I don't think I had that before)?

I'd say yes it's ready to bottle if the gravity has been consistent for 10 days. How often is the airlock bubbling?

It's not necessarily a problem if the FG isn't as low as the instructions state. It just won't be as strong. However, the use of prime sugar will possibly lower the gravity a tad.

I'd say yes, ready for bottling. I've had plenty of brews that kept producing airlock activity after they'd been at a steady SG for a few days. The risk is if it's still fermenting you get bottle bombs, but so far I've not seen that (not stopped me being paranoid about it though!)

I'd say yes it's ready to bottle if the gravity has been consistent for 10 days. How often is the airlock bubbling?

It's not necessarily a problem if the FG isn't as low as the instructions state. It just won't be as strong. However, the use of prime sugar will possibly lower the gravity a tad.
Thanks for the reply. The airlock is on the verge of burbling, but either not getting to actually bubbling or at least taking a long time in between. It's not stopping completely as I am used to have, and afraid of creating unwanted second fermentation or bottle bombs....

I'd say yes, ready for bottling. I've had plenty of brews that kept producing airlock activity after they'd been at a steady SG for a few days. The risk is if it's still fermenting you get bottle bombs, but so far I've not seen that (not stopped me being paranoid about it though!)

Thanks. I assume it's finished, but don't want to risk bottle bombs (I did have bottles explode in the garage on a hot day. Not a nice thing to come to...

Latest posts

Back