Is it safe to drink unclear beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramsbury-stone

Reaction score
hello beer people
first post.
i made up a kit real ale I fermented in bucket 6 days. bottled in warm 2 days. then moved to my workshed going three weeks now.
problem is my brew only seems to be clear at the top 2" of the bottles.
i read about difficulty in getting clear brew.
i didn't add any finings as i wanted to see what happens when i leave it.
anyone had any side effects because of drinking unclear beer.

If it's a yeast haze you might get the Ertha Kitts, if it's a protein haze you will be fine.

Put a few bottles upright in a fridge (and still) the cold helps to drop beer bright.

cloudy beer generally is normally ok to drink . as a general rule if it smells and tastes ok then it is safe. there are many reasons for cloudy beer.

You may experience some undergarment turbulence however from the extra yeast intake.

It will be just fine, get it down you man, I know plenty of people who drink a bottle of yeast slurry daily, & I mean thick yeast slurry, and they don't suffer any bad effects, I have not seen how much andrex they buy weekly though.

UP

My IPA is still cloudy (after four weeks in the garage) but it tastes fine, i have 10 litres in PET bottles and there cloudier than the 10 litres that are in glass bottles.
I've not had any undue trouble so far and i'm still hopeful that it will clear by next weekend, (my significant others 40th) and we're having a BBQ.

Real Ale Racal

I'm having the same, it was a kit beer that didn't seem to get goi g so I threw anouth packet of yeast in for good measure.
When I kegged it, it seemed fine but now it's in the fridge it's Very hazy. Anymore than about a inch I can't read a thing through it. Smells fine and tastes OK but we have family over at the weekend and I had hoped to share it with them, but it looks like dish water.

I'm having the same, it was a kit beer that didn't seem to get goi g so I threw anouth packet of yeast in for good measure.
When I kegged it, it seemed fine but now it's in the fridge it's Very hazy. Anymore than about a inch I can't read a thing through it. Smells fine and tastes OK but we have family over at the weekend and I had hoped to share it with them, but it looks like dish water.

Just say you used a yeast that clouds, "it's part of the style".

murky beer being bad for you comes from drinking the end of the barrel which has all of the finings, fish and animal products, which being more than a few weeks old...

I transported a corny of beer across scotland for new year. first half was cloudy and it never quite fully cleared. I don't think I killed anyone.
The final pint was cloudy even by my standards but the recipient was still alive yesterday.

Everyone’s seen that episode of the young ones where rick dies from a laxative over dose.

Isn’t yeast a laxative.....

RIP @ramsbury-stone

I don't think so. There is strong evidence that brewer's yeast is effective treatment for Diarrhoea. Marmite lovers appear to eat large quantities of yeast without any ill effects (weirdos).

The real culprit for beer shits is likely to be high magnesium intake, magnesium from malt and water. Also, irritation to the intestines from alcohol, and as mentioned, finings from the bottom of the barrel.

Latest posts

Back