Is my beer off.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrums1

Reaction score
I am a newbie so pardon my ignorance. I brewed a Beerworks Bohemian Pilsner kit yesterday and it is already fermenting well, but if smells a little sour. This may be normal at this stage? Btw, hops still have to added in 9 days.

Is seems a bit quick if it has gone off, I stress it's been 24 hours.

Advice please.

Evening
When you say smells are you talking about from the airlock or from opening the lid of the FV?

Either way I wouldn't take much notice of either just leave it sealed and safe from contamination
Off smells are very common at the early stages

Yeast fermenting can kick out some delicious smells but can also knock out a few pongs, all depends on both yeast and conditions, so an off smell during primary is only worth taking note of, it may? prove to be something but you have stacked the odds against anything bad happening with your sanitation and cleaning , followed by pitching a population of billions of your selected yeast..

if in doubt, draw a sample and have a taste.

very hard especially when 1st starting with brewing but PATIENCE is your #1 friend, for Primary fermentation, your job is to provide the ideal habitat for the yeast and maintain it, once done its all down to the yeast, and all you can do is sit back and wait drawing the odd gravity sample for a taste..

It may take a brew or two for you to relax and trust in your cleaning/sanitation and of course the yeast too ;) but it wont take long..

What you're smelling is the CO2. Rule one of brewing is chuck your yeast in and leave it alone for 2 weeks, although personally I always crack the lid open the day after to check there's a krausen. There always is but it's nice to see it.

There is a large krausen and the feel I sanitised it well. The smell is coming through th airlock, so as you all say it is best to leave it alone. I smelled a bit like sourdough bread but tangier if that makes any sense. I am reassured by your advice. What great help it is to us newbies.

Latest posts

Back