Is my beer ok

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo 2

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all just done a ghost ship clone on Sunday , all grain 9litres put a whole pack of US05 on it and stired it in, the starting gravity was 1.045 and on Monday the air lock was popping away nicely, by the way the fermenter is only a fifteen litre one , but tonight no bubbles at all and no visible foam on the brew at all , have I put to much yeas on it or am I missing something

You can always take a gravity reading to see but I have one FV that just stopped bubbling after a few days even though I know it's not complete. I don't think the airlock has a great seal and it's venting CO2 around it rather than through it. I usually just leave my FVs alone for 2 weeks and then take a look at the gravity.

US-05 (and ale yeast in general) can ferment out incredibly quickly, one of the things that surprised me when I started using a tilt was how much of the fermentation took place in the first 48-72 hours. That said while it might have finished, based on past observation I find most of my beers will slowly ferment away the last two or three points over the next 4 or 5 days.

Yes US05 is quick finishing compared to some yeasts but I wouldn't expect it to have finished in 2 days. How warm is it? Houses are getting cold this time of year, might have slowed down or even stalled if too cold.

Temp is a steady 19c , will just leave it alone then do a reading in a week or so, never done a nine litre all grain before so just wondered what was going on , cheers fella’s 🍻

Latest posts

Back