Is my brewing procedure allright?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloy

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

This is my procedure for 23l (6gal) batch:

-heat water to about 70°C (158F), amount of water [l]=grain weight[kg]*3
(that is, for my current recipe, 15l(4gal) )

-add grain (BIAB), maintain temp. between 62°C 70°C (143-158F) ( I can not hold a constant temp. so it varies)

-after an hour, toss the bag and add x litres of tap water, x=amount of grains in litres ( so for 5kg of grains->5l of water)

- heat up, when boilling, add hops (amount and time depending on recipe)

-after an hour I am left with an amount of wort <15l (about 12.5l (3.3gal) ), I pure that in the fermentor and add tap water to reach 23l, seal the fermentor

-temp. of wort is about 36°C (97F), let it naturally cool down (it takes about 12h to get to 20°C)

-sprinkle yeast

I take gravity readings, if the OG is too low I add sugar, if too high I add water.

Is this good? If not, why?

I wouldn't add tap water post boil, you could introduce chlorine and maybe bacteria.

I'd rather do a full volume mash or sparge with whatever volume you need to bring you to your target.

Last edited:
You could treat the tap water with some camden tablet before using it.
I think a lot of us on non auto systems using non standard size pans,biab,stove top etc eventually get to a point where we make good beer through much experimenting and trial and error and although you get to understand the process and what your kit does it's hard to transfer,translate etc to others and their kit...the key is consistency in your cleaning,sanitising and process. It's then usually easier to identify any issues you may get...

The only notable difference in my process is at this point "-after an hour, toss the bag and add x litres of tap water, " is that I'll use the added water to rinse the grain through to try & extract a bit more of the sugars

No, it is pured directly from the tap, no heating. The water quality of the tap water used in my city is amongst the most quality ones in Europe.

Latest posts

Back