Is my Tilt playing up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Rennie

Reaction score
My tilt seems to be fluctuating at the moment and I don’t know why. Has anyone else seen this?

I've twisted the fermenter a few times in case it's gunk on it, but seems to continue

Attachments

• 6382AA87-D579-4DEF-9E96-9CFD78ECE3B9.jpeg
    6382AA87-D579-4DEF-9E96-9CFD78ECE3B9.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 66
Ispindel user but those readings seem to vary with temperature. very fast gravity drop wasn't it. Bubbles can cause issues along with krausen stuck to the top, are you rasing the temp for a diacetyl rest, might see some further changes. I tend not to rely on the gravity reading but the trend and it's been fairly stable really for a couple of days. Pressure ferment skews mine as well.

Gunna get some reet flack for this but for £100 plus these items should be more accurate and reliable thats why I will not buy one as I have read many unfit for purpose reports.
As you can see from the dialogue a reet tight Yorkshireman :laugh8: :laugh8: :coat:

Is it calibrated correctly? I have an ispindel and I suspect my calibration is off on the lower end. Last brew it told me it was at 1.003 so I drew off a sample and used my hydrometer. It was actually 1.012 which was bang on target.

You can't rely on these for an accurate reading if there's any confounders about such as krausen, pressure or temperature change. But if you put it in something like a bottom fermenting wine amazing. In beer tells you the temp at the top super accurate and shows when the gravity stops changing.
It is not meant to replace a hydrometer, the final gravity is the final gravity but you'll know when it's there so well.
I do find it is a great help and as you can make an ispindel for about 20 pounds it's well worth it.
On an open fermented beer and it's calibrated at the start the info is great.
I note down the angle in water at 20 celsius when I calibrate and check that it is at that angle before use. If not adjus , normally just a position thing and then they are accurate within a few points.

You can't rely on these for an accurate reading if there's any confounders about such as krausen, pressure or temperature change. But if you put it in something like a bottom fermenting wine amazing. In beer tells you the temp at the top super accurate and shows when the gravity stops changing.
It is not meant to replace a hydrometer, the final gravity is the final gravity but you'll know when it's there so well.
I do find it is a great help and as you can make an ispindel for about 20 pounds it's well worth it.
On an open fermented beer and it's calibrated at the start the info is great.
I note down the angle in water at 20 celsius when I calibrate and check that it is at that angle before use. If not adjus , normally just a position thing and then they are accurate within a few points.
Even this tight Yorkshireman would spend £20 on a Ispindel to get a rough guide but £100+_ for inaccuracy takes the biscuit

There is a fella on here that sell preassembled ispindels. I got mine from him. £34, I think. You have to calibrate it yourself though. I really only use mine as a guide to when fermentation is over or if I have a stuck fermentation issue. I am happy with my purchase and would recommend one for the price. Never used any of the other gizmos that are available but I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy them, given their price.

There is a fella on here that sell preassembled ispindels. I got mine from him. £34, I think. You have to calibrate it yourself though. I really only use mine as a guide to when fermentation is over or if I have a stuck fermentation issue. I am happy with my purchase and would recommend one for the price. Never used any of the other gizmos that are available but I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy them, given their price.
Can you remember his name athumb..

@phildo79
Notice you are drinking omnipollo IPA is it good?
Is that a clone recipe or shop bought?
Watched the craft beer channel show about omnipollo the other week and their new brewery they seem receptive to giving details about their brews.

@the baron
Ispindels are pretty easy to make if you get the parts, i've made several now. I had no experience of that kind of thing and they work well. But it's best if you find several other people who want one and then order the parts in multiples. But that looks a good price from gingerneil anyway.

Agree with most comments, I use it as a guide to fermentation but still take a FG with a hydrometer.

Also agree they are expensive, but tried the ispindle and wasted £40 and sold my motorbike and decided to treat myself. The first 15 brews this has been straight lines, only this one which has played up. I did throw a load of hops in at the beginning, which I haven't done before, so.could be the issue.

I have been very disappointed with both Tilt (which I sold on Ebay) and the iSpindel. The krausen collecting on top made them inaccurate: useful as a guide to fermentation ending, but not much more. Has anyone tried the Plaato airlock?

I find that these devices just give you an idea of how your fermentation is progressing.

But it will be interesting to see if the new Kegland Pill Hydrometer is any better (RAPT Pill - Hydrometer & Thermometer (Wifi & Bluetooth)). It might just disrupt the market with its $50AUD/ £27 cost.

And I think it's due at the end of August with a bunch of other new products.

@phildo79
Notice you are drinking omnipollo IPA is it good?
Is that a clone recipe or shop bought?
Watched the craft beer channel show about omnipollo the other week and their new brewery they seem receptive to giving details about their brews.
It isn't bad. It was a touch green the last time I tried it. Still didn't stop me drinking a pint of it though. It's a clone recipe from their homebrew book (Brygg ol). Not sure if it is supposed to be one of their actual brews though as it is simply called 'IPA'. Must check out that channel.

Sorry !
But my tilt has worked perfectly for the past couple of years without changing the battery 20++ brews 😊

Latest posts

Back