Is my yeast dead?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying_Fox

Reaction score
Ok, so 5 days ago I pitched my yeast etc, binges 2kg of Sugar and let it do its thing. It was a bit slow at first but then I got some Krausen.

I checked yesterday and it was all gone. I would have thought that the Krausen would have been there at least a week, have I killed it off? What do I do?

Attachments

• 7107E696-4726-4B97-9693-28DFB66B5F05.jpeg
    7107E696-4726-4B97-9693-28DFB66B5F05.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 91
The kraüsen disappears (most of the time) when fermentation is done. The next step is to measure your final gravity.

The kraüsen disappears (most of the time) when fermentation is done. The next step is to measure your final gravity.

Yeah but it’s only been brewing for 5 days. The instructions did say that it would take 8 days but even then that seems a bit too quick for me

That's average. What was your starting gravity and the temperature of the room where you fermented it? And kraüsen is a very fickle indicator. I have had beers where the kräusen stayed on even when it was almost finished, and I had beers without almost no kraüsen.

That's average. What was your starting gravity and the temperature of the room where you fermented it? And kraüsen is a very fickle indicator. I have had beers where the kräusen stayed on even when it was almost finished, and I had beers without almost no kraüsen.

The OG was 1.055, the temperature never dipped below 18 degrees athumb..

I agree with chthon. Some yeast will give you a rocky head that stays there for ages and others will just seem to fizz. Of the former, sometimes, if the fermentation is vigorous, the head never forms properly as it rolls back into the wort through the action of the fermentation . Take a hydrometer reading. % days can be enough.

I agree with chthon. Some yeast will give you a rocky head that stays there for ages and others will just seem to fizz. Of the former, sometimes, if the fermentation is vigorous, the head never forms properly as it rolls back into the wort through the action of the fermentation . Take a hydrometer reading. % days can be enough.

Ok so I reread the instructions and it reckons that when I get 2 x days of it being 1.006 then it’s done. is that a fair assessment?

That is indeed a fair assessment. But take that 1.006 as around 1.006, could be actually a bit more. But relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

ok lol, I’ve NEVER known a Beer to brew so quickly lol. I bought some Beer finings too, should I add those to the kit now as well?

I never use finings, that will have to be answered by someone who has experience with them.

Right done an FG Reading and it‘s at 1.010, the instructions say that when it gets to 1.06 it’s done.

What do I do? lol 😂

Just because the air lock is doing nothing doesn't mean its done, you mention 5 days give it another 5 and take another reading

I noticed today it had a bit of a foamy top appearing. I just want to get it bottled and ready to drink lol 😂 Was in Tesco’s today and I was VERY lucky to get a few cans of Stella!

Latest posts

Back