Is partially filling bottles ok?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom

Reaction score
Got a Belgian blonde on the go that I'm expecting to have a relatively high ABV. My bottles are all 500ml, but I'm wondering about the possibility of only putting something like 330ml into them. I guess if I was to move the bottles around too much, they'd be at higher risk of oxidation due to there being more oxygen in the bottle getting mixed into the beer. But does anybody know what happens if I were to handle them very carefully so they don't splash around inside - would that mean only the top surface of the beer would be in contact with the oxygen, giving the same effect as if the bottle was full, or does the extra oxygen in the bottle still somehow get into the beer?

There is some evidence that underfilled bottles are more likely to explode. Charlie Papazian mentioned this in one of his books.

That extra air will probably result in some oxidation too.

Got a Belgian blonde on the go that I'm expecting to have a relatively high ABV. My bottles are all 500ml, but I'm wondering about the possibility of only putting something like 330ml into them. I guess if I was to move the bottles around too much, they'd be at higher risk of oxidation due to there being more oxygen in the bottle getting mixed into the beer. But does anybody know what happens if I were to handle them very carefully so they don't splash around inside - would that mean only the top surface of the beer would be in contact with the oxygen, giving the same effect as if the bottle was full, or does the extra oxygen in the bottle still somehow get into the beer?
hmmm, why? You risk oxygenation and ruining the beer, do the job right and fill the bottle to the correct volume.

@dwhite60 @Galena - thanks for the advice. My reason is (I assume!) really just the same as why other strong-tasting and/or high ABV beers sometimes come in smaller bottles - a 500ml can just be a bit much! It's looking like it'll be about 7.5%, so at 500ml a bottle that's about 3.75 units a drink. I tend to like about 2 to 2.5 units at once. But since it sounds like partial filling might not end that well, I'm sure I'll be able to cope 🙂

I definitely would not partially fill a bottle. You don't need to move it around, oxygen in the airspace will diffuse into the beer anyway.
I suggest that you either change your recipe to reduce the alcohol content, or build up a stock of 330ml bottles.

Hello.
Your brew sounds good.
You can buy the brown Duvel type bottles online, saw them a few days ago.

Thanks all. Decided to just treat myself to some swingtop 330mls. I can see myself experimenting with a few batches of this style, and even for lower-ABV styles a 330ml is nice sometimes, gives me a bit more choice in future :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back