Is there a better connector for this type of fitting? - Water leaking when using plate heat exchanger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindormonster

Reaction score
Just been testing out a plate heat exchanger - the side that the wort flows through has some nice quick release clamp connectors (Cam and groove I do believe) on the in and out which are superb with no leaks

The other side that the water flows through how ever has these (pictured) connectors so I pushed the hose on one end and the outlet pipe on the other then used some jubilee clips on them to secure in place how ever as soon as the water started flowing and it heated up the pipe water started leaking out on both sides and I then had to really over tighten the jubilee clips to stop it

I had the same issue with the copper coil cooler I was using before

I am wondering if there is any better way of doing this as im guessing im not the only one and im hoping someone might have a solution to the problem - Is there a better connector or even would it be possible to revove this barbed one and use something else that does not leak - Looks like there is not enough room for another Cam and groove connector so that wont be an option

Getting fed up with cleaning up water from all over the place every time i cool down some wort - Glad i was only testing it all with water today lol

Any advice for a good solid connection much appreciated

20220401_173546.jpg

Just to update what i did was

Bought a four way quick release hose set -

https://www.diy.com/departments/ver...nU9LLxoCsEsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&storeId=1048
I run the main water in to that then i run a smaller pipe to the heat exchanger and clamped it on with 2 x jubilee clips - the end that connects to the 4 way adapter is quick release

Also added in a quick release on the other end (water out) so there is a foot of pipe then it goes into a quick release hose connector then a joiner then another quick release which is attached to the hose that runs to the drain

its water tight and i dont have to undo the jubliee clips to get the heat exchange out i can just pop the quick releases

Also means i have 4 pipe connections so i have another one set up to fill the HLT - will do another one to run water to the conical so i can clean that as well in the future

Total cost of 18 quid for the bits from B and Q

Latest posts

Back