Is there a way to store liquid finings and preserve them?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikes1992

Reaction score
I've got finings from Wilko for 5 gallons or 23L and only need enough for 1 gallon or 5L-ish. I was thinking about putting it in eliquid bottles to see how many mls each sachet contains and suddenly got the idea that I could mix it with vegetable glycerine/glycerol which should theoretically act as a preservative and bulk up the measurements for a more accurate dosage of the finings.

Has anybody attempted to preserve liquid finings to use at a future date?
16115578181268208464940593857681.jpg

I think the Wilko 2 part will be very similar to Kwik Klear 2 part if you do a internet search it will tell you what the finings are used in both and Kwik Klear comes in 2 small bottle so I see no problem with opening the packets and just putting into 2 sterile bottles then use in the appropriate ratio when you need it

No need to dilute then? I think I figured out the right amount to use
IMG_20210125_073859.jpg

2.5mls or 1/2 Tsp finings A (silica solution)
10mls or 1 Dsp finings B (Chitosan)

I have been using 2 part finings that I bought in 1l bottles for the past 18 month. I just keep them in the fridge and dicant in to two smaller 50ml bottles to limit the amount of times they get opened.

To add to what LZ said above - KwiK Clear two part finings has a very long shelf life once opened and the Youngs CLEAR IT version a much shorter shelf life, both are fast and for me the best you can get.

I'd have banged it in the vacuum sealer and just used the seal function. Especially useful as I've used all the Ikea bag clips as spacers for laying patio slabs.

Clear it wine and beer finings.

finings a kieselsol
finings b porcine gelatine
Warning this product must not be subjected to temperatures below 5c.

Just noticed made by young`s

Was very surprised by the instructions on my latest purchase of finings NOT to keep in the fridge.
The 2 part I have is Chitosan and Kieselsol, I checked after your post and it does say store in a cold dark place. And I have to say that post brexit, covid riden UK is an ideal place.

Clear it wine and beer finings.

finings a kieselsol
finings b porcine gelatine
Warning this product must not be subjected to temperatures below 5c.

Just noticed made by young`s
I far prefer using isinglass, made from fish swim bladders, to porcine gelatine, made from pig's trotters and queer bits!

Lurker here, when did two part finings become a thing? Getting back into homebrew after years away (currently got a test cyser on the go) and I always remember having one sachet, back in the Special Reserve kit days.

Lurker here, when did two part finings become a thing? Getting back into homebrew after years away (currently got a test cyser on the go) and I always remember having one sachet, back in the Special Reserve kit days.

You can still get the dry sachets but the two part liquid finings are much faster, if speed is of no consequence the dry ones will do the job or use non and let gravity do its thing ;)

Aha, thanks current brew has stopped fermenting, so I think I'll let time do the work :)

Welcome to the forum.

I can't remember when it became a thing but if I remember correctly the first part has an electric charge that attracts the particles together and the second part takes them down to the bottom.

Well this very day i have filtered my latest brew.
I had planned on using more traditional methods,but it was stubbornly hazy so i had little option.
BTW i am enjoying it as we speak athumb..

Back