Is there any way to increase the "appleyness" in a TC?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch

Regular.
Reaction score
Over the last 12 months ive pretty much got TC's down to a fine art. Considering the first was vinegar and the next few lacking in fizz im fairly impressed with my skills and help from the good folk here.

Is there any way to get any more apple flavour into a TC?

I use lidl or aldi juices and MJ yeast. Cold tea. Sometimes gervin universal wine yeast. I sometimes chuck in additional sugar depending on how I feel.

I've currently got 2 fruit and a rhubarb on the go. Almost ready to bottle.

I'm toying with chucking in some apple pulp to the next one.

Anyone any thoughts or advice.

Cheers

I recently purchased some of Uncle Roy's flavourings which were a hazelnut and chocolate along with a pineapple one which were super strength which they were and a little goes a long way though are nearly £10 a 50ml bottle plus postage.

There's was a guy called brew master Ben on YouTube who did different TCs with different yeasts and preferred an ale yeast; with one of his points being it retained more apple flavour. He's not made any videos for years but he's a lot more watchable than some other youtubers. He's been recommended on here a few times.

My other recommendation would be to try different apple juices. For example Asda smartprice or next best AJ is green apples. Sainsbury's standard AJ (not Aldi Price match) is red apples. It's a noticeable difference when you taste them as just juices.

I always blitz a couple of Bramleys in a food processor and add this to the starting juice.

I also use a couple of teaspoons of Bigger Jugs 100g resealable cider yeast in a 20 litre batch. It stores for over a year in its bag, inside another resealable food bag in the egg draw/ shelf of my fridge.

I haven‘t tried blitzing any dessert apples, but it’s worth a try, as a one off.

I use fresh elderflowers, when in season, in a turbo cider. I put 10 heads in 20 litres of juice. I pluck the flower heads off the stalks with a fork. I let it ferment in an initial 15 litres of juice, then when it has almost stopped bubbling I sieve it through a muslin cloth loosely draped inside a clean vessel and clothes pegged to the vessel (if the cloth is stretched tight the liquid bounces off, and goes everywhere). I then add the remaining 5 litres and let that ferment and settle before bottling. Otherwise it’s a nightmare trying to keep the flowers out of the end brew.

They say elderflowers are best picked, and used, on a sunny summer morning. That is when they produce the most pollen (flavour).

Back