Is there enough yeast in the Crisp lager AG kit from GEB?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptn_Needa

Chookity-pok
Reaction score
I'm 7 days in to fermentation of my 9th AG brew and it's the Crisp German Pilsner kit from Get Er Brewed (my first time doing a lager).
OG was 1.043 and it's currently at 1.027 (FV @ 13C).
The kit was supplied with one 11g packet of Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast.
Is this likely to be enough to get it to target of 1.007?

I tasted the sample after taking the SG reading and it was heavy with buttery tastes (diacetyl I think). I'm worried that this won't clear up if the yeast is under pitched.
Any thoughts on this or if I need to take some action?

This is the recipe in case anyone needs more info
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/what-did-you-brew-today.64550/post-991446

Being at 13 it'll take a while to get near FG, I brewed a pilsner yesterday and pitched 2 pkts of s23. I would leave it another week before checking again.
Then I'd look into a diacetyl rest when you are a few points off FG. I don't know much about this as I've never done one but it's to clear those buttery flavours..

Thanks both. Good to know all is not lost at this stage.

@Clint yes I think I’ll give a diacetyl rest a go. The buttery butterscotch flavour was not great.

@Gerryjo good to know you’ve had success on a single packet. When I did the calculator on the Lallemand calculator it came back with 3 packets!

Thanks both. Good to know all is not lost at this stage.

@Clint yes I think I’ll give a diacetyl rest a go. The buttery butterscotch flavour was not great.

@Gerryjo good to know you’ve had success on a single packet. When I did the calculator on the Lallemand calculator it came back with 3 packets!
TBH I never use more than one packet of yeast on a 23l brew ale or lager.

I'm 7 days in to fermentation of my 9th AG brew and it's the Crisp German Pilsner kit from Get Er Brewed (my first time doing a lager).
OG was 1.043 and it's currently at 1.027 (FV @ 13C).
The kit was supplied with one 11g packet of Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast.
Is this likely to be enough to get it to target of 1.007?

I tasted the sample after taking the SG reading and it was heavy with buttery tastes (diacetyl I think). I'm worried that this won't clear up if the yeast is under pitched.
Any thoughts on this or if I need to take some action?

This is the recipe in case anyone needs more info
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/what-did-you-brew-today.64550/post-991446
Hey, we did alot of testing on these recipes working closely with Crisp Malt & Lallemand and found a single pack was plenty for this brew, lagers/pilsens tend to need a little more time generally so need to panic. Hope that helps Jonathan

Hey, we did alot of testing on these recipes working closely with Crisp Malt & Lallemand and found a single pack was plenty for this brew, lagers/pilsens tend to need a little more time generally so need to panic. Hope that helps Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan, appreciate the response.

Back