Is this an Infection

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

Landlord.
Reaction score
Guys,

This brew has been a bit of a nightmare, put this on a number of weeks ago, its a golden rocket from Lovebrewing. nothing wrong with the kit but my timings have been all over the place.

fermented it for 2 weeks, hopped it, after this my daughter had an accident and Basically had to leave it to it.

Took it out of the FV after the hops in a week and put into a secondary, where it has been now for about 10 days.

Doesn't smell nice, cider vinegar like, and has the thing floating on top. tastes ok ish but has't been carbed etc yet. tested the gravity last night and is 1.10 so nothing un-towards there.

Plan is to bottle in plastic 1l tonic water bottles and chuck them after use, but what about the rest of my kit, keep of chuck the FV and syphon, hydrometer?

If keep how to clean etc?

infection1.jpg

Doesn't smell nice, cider vinegar like

Possibly symptoms of acetic acid, so yeah, something is growing in there you don't want!

Plan is to bottle in plastic 1l tonic water bottles and chuck them after use, but what about the rest of my kit, keep of chuck the FV and syphon, hydrometer

I don't think you'll enjoy drinking this one (the aroma alone sounds pretty bad!) but in regards to rest of kit, I'd suggest a diluted bleach soak of everything involved. Throwing it out may be a little extreme, there are some types of yeast/bacteria that will be very tough to remove (e.g. Brettanomyces) but I doubt this is one.

Well bottle 15l of this last night and lets see how it goes after a week or so to carb and a few to condition. All plastic bottles stored in a garden trug....just in case.

Latest posts

Back