Is this better than tap water?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill

Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if this is better than using tap water for my next brew? Any help is much appreciated.
_20210505_170305.JPG

Hi
I was wondering if this is better than using tap water for my next brew? Any help is much appreciated. View attachment 46549

Haven't dabbled yet in water treatment, but there is a water calculator on the forum Here that you may be able to plug those values in from the label.

If you are thinking of using tap water, general advice is to use 1/2 a campden tablet in approx 25 litres of tap water to get rid of chlorine

I'm assuming that it is Tesco Ashbeck water, if so that is the go-to bottled water for many on this forum.

Whether it is better than your tap water, will depend on.......What your tap water is like in terms of hardness, alkailinity etc.......and What your are brewing.

If you are brewing a pilsner or very pale ale, it is ideal with little or no additions. If you are brewing a darker beer, it acts as a Tabala rasa to which you can add minerals to suit your selected style, but you may be able to achieve this with your tap water for less cost,

Foxbat beat me to it, but I hope that helps.

Yeah depends on your tap water

That's fine for many things, as long as you add things to it, generally.

Plenty of UK water sources are fine for a number of beers and less so for others.

Tesco Ashbeck has a similar mineral profile to my tap water. It is a great base to work from, but I never brew without additions, maybe okay as is for a Czech Pilsner but even that could benefit from some additional Calcium.
What is your tap water like, it may be better than this?

I tend to let this water quality stuff wash over me... :D , but this did rouse me to look up my tapwater. I found figures easily enough. Pretty close in nearly every category to the pic in the OP, without the exception of nitrate (tapwater much lower) and pH value (just over 7).

But that's pretty good, isn't it? Clark hardness 3.01

I used Tesco’s ashbec exclusively for years until recently purely because I can’t get hold of any. So Even though my tap water tastes **** I have been forced to use it. Luckily the bi carb level is relatively low and after filtering it makes great beer. The biggest bonus is not having to deal with all that plastic.

Ashbec is great for pale beers but check your home water profile too. It may be just as good or better!

Anyone know how to list Severn Trent's water composition? I cannot find how

Put your postcode into the bottom of
https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/water-quality/check-my-water-quality/
Bear in mind that those numbers will be an average, what comes out of your tap can be significantly different, and may vary in composition due to drought etc But it's a good place to start.

Also worth bearing in mind that because Ashbeck is so low in minerals, folk in hard water areas can get away with blending Ashbeck with some of their tapwater, maybe 3:1 or 4:1 - saves you buying a tub or two (and the extra plastic etc).

I have dabbled with Ashbeck in the past and recently bought an RO filter (the Vyair one that is popular on here) but on Tuesday mty Missus sent me round to the aquarium/ pond shop to buy some pondweed for a biology experiment. Lived in current house for 15 years and never had cause to go in there even though its literally 5 minutes walk away. Anyway asked if he does RO water and yep he does - £3 for 25L so would recommend that anyone living 5 minutes from an aquarium shop also considers that as an option.

I use the 17p chase spring bottled water for everything I brew. I'm happy with the results out of the bottle.
Chase spring is very different to Ashbeck. I find it's good for darker beers and stouts. Never tried it for pales though as my tapwater is perfect for pale ales/pilsner.

Thanks for all the help, I'll be doing my first lager later so will use the ashbeck. think I live in a hard water area (East Kent) and when I boil water it is cloudy and it leaves alot of white residue.

Latest posts

Back