Is this elderflower fizz safe to drink?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilby

Reaction score
Hi all - Not a pro at all, and only my second year making elderflower fizz, but this year seems more 'gunky' than the first. It has this kind of cloud floating in it, and when you move it it turns stringy and bits break off. Is that normal or should i be worried? I made it last year and was delicous- did have some stuff but I can't remember it being one 'body' like that. It's natural yeasts on the plant itself - nothing added- and I only used boiling water to sterilise (realise there's lots to learn!) Also sorry if this is in wrong place, I couldn't find where elderflower might fit!

elderflower.jpg

I've never made my own but have drunk some made by others. With a wild yeast fermentation you always risk something a bit iffy going on, you could try straining it through something to get rid of the bits and see if it tastes okay. If it does the probably fine to drink.

When you say you used boiling water, did you pour that over the elderflowers directly? If so you may well have killed most of the wild yeast present on the flowers.

Hi, I make this each year, and there is always some fine sediment from the elderflowers etc which gathers at the bottom of the bottle (see pic).

Is it fermenting yet? If it is, I'd suggest putting it through either a coffee filter first, which although quite coarse, should remove the sediment. Then, if it tastes alright, drink it! :beer1:

If not, leave it until it starts to bubble, and then as above. Bearing in mind the simple ingredients, I don't think you will come to any harm.

image0.jpeg

No its not normal.
The good news is it wont kill or harm you.

In future pay more attention to hygiene
This is NOT me being unfriendly but due to the fact that 99% of wine problems are down to allowing the bad bugs in.

Sanitise ALL of your equipment with sulphite BEFORE making your next wine.

I should state that you are very,very unlikely to become ill from anything fermented that's why the process was invented.To make drinking water safe.
The effect of the alcohol was a bonus.

But when making wine/beers we do need to observe hygiene to get the best result.

Latest posts

Back