Is this just floating yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
This was my fourth ag brew, first 3 were BIAB which I've been well pleased with so I bought a keggle and mash tun all went pretty well with the brew but I just opened up my fv to dry hop after two weeks and found this. Took a sample which tastes good and is also way clearer than my BIAB efforts. Down to fg1012 from 1058. Oh and yeast was us05 which I rehydrated for the first time.
I haven't put the hops in yet but set my fridge to 12° to see if it sinks down

DSC_0001.jpg

Possibly as US-05 can take a long time to drop out. But tbh it looks more like trub to me that has been brought to the surface by the C02 produced by the yeast. It'll sink to the bottom of the FV though, so no worries

Thanks for the quick response. My question should I chuck my hops in now or chill it down first also how cold do people crash cool to if dry hopping?

My Coopers Brew A IPA looked similar to that, but not quite as bad, due to clumps of floating yeast, when I opened it up this morning when the primary had finished.
I racked off as normal to a second FV for a dry hop and all the floaters plus the trub were left behind.
Sorted :thumb:.

I'd also rack off to another vessel then dry hop.
But if this is already down to 1012, then you'll need to watch out for airborne spoilage organisms - or just oxygen affecting the taste of the beer - as it won't be producing much CO2 through fermentation now.
I use a welding-gas cylinder of food-grade CO2 to purge my beer every time I transfer it.

I use US-05 and it looks the same, when racked to a secondary you can negate most of this in the syphoning

Thanks for the advice chaps I didn't fancy racking to a secondary as its probably finished it's thing and didn't want to risk it. So last night I dropped temp to 10° and checked on it earlier and it looks like it's dropping out, I've lowered the temp to 6° now not sure my old fridge will get that low but will check it again tomorrow, and hopefully it will all be gone.
Question now is dry hop temp anyone got any ideas?

a lot of it is held up by surface tension which can be broken with a big wooden spoon used to rapp the outside of the bucket at the liquid level point.

Question now is dry hop temp anyone got any ideas?
Hops will give up their flavour and aroma at warmer rather than colder temperatures. Somewhere buried in this forum is a link to a scientific paper which describes an experiment where this was confirmed, and the mechanisms associated.
Anyway, what I usually do is dry hop for five or six days, the first three or four at fermenting temperature the last two at the lowest I have or around 10*C min to encourage the yeast to drop.
I am one of those who normally uses a muslin bag (boiled to sterilise before use) for dry hopping, although I have found the sock thingy that came with a Festival kit and fits over the end of the siphon tube works well and doesn't clog up. I also swirl the FV for the first part of the dry hop period to encourage the hops to give up their 'goodness'.

Well I took the advice from FIL and gave the fv a good knocking with my spoon and some of it started to fall to the bottom but not all, so I gave the rest a little prod with sanitized spoon. All but a few bits gone now and in went 100gr of Citra. Slowly raising the temp back up to 19 now. Thanks for all your help chaps

Well, I'd never have thought that dry-hopping temperature could be an issue. I'm not even sure that dry-hopping still-fermenting beer might be problematic, provided that the initial vigorous fermentation has died down.
My advice is - just do it & see what you think. If the result is disappointing, then reconsider your method - but also think about the source and quality of your hops. Keeping the bittering quality of hops is easy. In my experience, the flavour is also normally good. The hop aroma, though, is more easily lost in storage.

Latest posts

Back