Is this mould? White bits!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Galt

Reaction score
On Monday I began a 6 bottle beverdale merlot. Filled it up to under the 4.5litre to give it some space, came in today and can see these wee white bits that I’m hoping isn’t mould?
They are pretty small wee spots, hope you can see from pic, any ideas?

Have topped it up now and it’s fermenting away as normal.

Attachments

• F15825BE-C035-4764-B182-444A35D4D7D6.jpeg
    F15825BE-C035-4764-B182-444A35D4D7D6.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 66
It looks to me like what is left after a vigorous fermentation. In my case on the walls of a bucket.

Were there oak chips in that kit?

Yeah there was oak chips. I left plenty of head space and seems like it was quite vigorous indeed. It’s more those wee white spots that concerned me. I’m hoping as it’s not on the actual liquid it’s fine.

I find some of the oak chips sit on the top and some get left behind on the walls after a day or two.

It's hard to tell from the photo exactly what the white bits are.

As you say, it doesn't seem to be in the wine itself so that's encouraging.

If you are concerned, it wouldn't do any harm to rack it early.

It might be micro yeast colonies.
Yeast is a fungus and members old enough to remember yeast slants will recognize white growth spots on agar slants.

On the other hand it might be.?????
Best to rack it into a sulphited fresh demijohn.
Wine infections are pretty rare but fanatical hygiene is recommended in every book i have ever read.

It might be micro yeast colonies.
Yeast is a fungus and members old enough to remember yeast slants will recognize white growth spots on agar slants.

On the other hand it might be.?????
Best to rack it into a sulphited fresh demijohn.
Wine infections are pretty rare but fanatical hygiene is recommended in every book i have ever read.
It’s still got a couple of weeks to ferment. I think I shall keep a eye on it for now as it’s only on the demijohn and not the liquid. I definitely cleaner and sterilised it. So fingers crossed.

Well you have done all you can for now.

Different strains of yeast have different habits so its impossible to diagnose if there is a problem or not.
Since you have taken precautions,Hope for the best.

I should point out wine infections are rarely very rarely harmful to humans.

Back