Is this normal (protein) ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
Been doing AG for about 6 months now and seems (to me anyway) I’m getting way too much proteins congealing at flame out. I’m adding about 1/3 of a whirlfloc tablet at last 15min of boil. Take a look at the photos,, is this normal.
8F458277-DAA6-4DB3-A09B-014BDFC80929.jpeg
CDCC7E75-8359-43DC-BBC2-08FFEF680882.jpeg

Hi all
Been doing AG for about 6 months now and seems (to me anyway) I’m getting way too much proteins congealing at flame out. I’m adding about 1/3 of a whirlfloc tablet at last 15min of boil. Take a look at the photos,, is this normal. View attachment 53243View attachment 53241
What malt are you using? That looks like a lot of break material leaving a very light wort. I got that with Pop's Malt from Crafty Maltsters.

I used to get that when i did biab in the klarstein, my first 2 brews in the brewzilla i got none the only thing different in the process was recirculation while mashing and letting it settle, first brew i used the tap second one i used the pump, tomorrow i am going to leave the top screen off while mashing if that works out ok i am going to do a brew with the overflow pipe blanked off

I use an Ace boiler which Iv kitted out with a circulation pump. What Iv been doing is opening the valve into my FV the putting in the wort chiller in there because it’s easier to carry to the tap. Next time il chill in boiler, will just need a longer hose and let settle then pump into FV. Thanks all for advice

Is it a problem if you don't let it settle and separate before transferring to the FV?
I made a right mess of it on my last brew whilst trying to filter it and the whole lot went in the FV.
I just thought sod it and pitched the yeast. All bubbling away nicely and it has settled out in the FV now.

It shouldn't be a problem.

Like a lot of things in brewing there seems to be two camps on this. Some people will swear that transferring any trub into your FV is to be avoided. Others will happily toss it in without a care in the world.

I only leave mine to settle whilst doing a hop stand (so about 20 minutes) so some trub still gets transferred to the FV. Never seems to have caused me a problem.

Might be a different story if you are planning on leaving the beer in the FV for a long time though. Mine is always out within 2 weeks, either to keg/bottle or into a secondary for conditioning.

Is it a problem if you don't let it settle and separate before transferring to the FV?
I made a right mess of it on my last brew whilst trying to filter it and the whole lot went in the FV.
I just thought sod it and pitched the yeast. All bubbling away nicely and it has settled out in the FV now.
Shouldn’t be a problem, it should just drop out of suspension in the fermenter.

A big sieve (with relatively big holes) is good for removing whole hops. I use one (bought from IKEA) when doing 6.5L batches. I use in a couple of aluminium stockpots I picked up at car boot sale on the gas stove. I suggest you continue doing a few more brews with your existing kit to work out the direction you want to go in before making any major investment. The major question for you is whether to go brew-in-bag, all-in-one or 3 vessel. For my larger brews (~25L), I started off doing brew-in-bag and gradually moved to 3 vessel based on a Burco Cygnet plus another electric boiler as a hot liquor tank.

Mine always goes in the FV: I do small-volume brews in a stockpot and tip the contents through a sieve (to remove the hops) into the FV. Always end up with a load of this at the bottom of the FV, doesn't seem to affect the brews, been doing this for years.

Latest posts

Back