Is this ready for the barrel yet?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Just getting everything prepared now. The barrel has been given an airlock test so just sterilising everything at the moment

Thanks. Just getting everything prepared now. The barrel has been given an airlock test so just sterilising everything at the moment
Not sure what you mean by an airlock test, but your PB has got to be leaktight under pressure, possibly up to 1 barg. If there is the tiniest of leaks from anywhere you will not maintain the pressure, and in the end it will continue to leak until it reverts back to ambient pressure. I know. I have considerable experience of leaking PBs which it why I no longer use them.

Air tightness, wouldn't leak air. I did it with solution in there which had carbed up.

What do you use instead of PBs?

Air tightness, wouldn't leak air. I did it with solution in there which had carbed up.
What do you use instead of PBs?
If you have pressure tested your PB (i.e. pressurised it, left it alone, then gone back to it to find the pressure is the same or thereabouts and/or gone round everything with soapy water to look for bubbling) you have practically done everything you can to confirm it's leaktight. However that's no guarantee it won't leak when you put it into service.
I am not trying to put you off using your PB, it will hopefully be fine, but there are certain basics you need to do before you use it first time, to minimise the possibility and frustration of finding a leak when its full of beer which you could have found earlier and much more easily have sorted out without the possible worry of contaminating your beer.

Hydrometer reading the same as Friday.

It's all in the barrel.

I had to suck a bit to get the syphoning started, but the hose has a tap on the end, so I shut it off and wiped it with a rag dipped in the milton solution then let the process commence.

A little bit went in my mouth when I started the syphoning (behave you lot!), tasted a bit flat and vinegary, only very lightly, but I guess it would do at this stage.

Not sure what you mean by an airlock test, but your PB has got to be leaktight under pressure, possibly up to 1 barg. If there is the tiniest of leaks from anywhere you will not maintain the pressure, and in the end it will continue to leak until it reverts back to ambient pressure. I know. I have considerable experience of leaking PBs which it why I no longer use them.

You never said, what do you use instead of PBs?

Bottles and a lot of us use Cornelius (corny) kegs. They're like pressure barrels only not absolute rubbish that become worth £1 at a car boot sale the second you get them home.

I only used bottles now. A mixture of flip tops and PET. I gave up on PBs due to leaks. I also stopped using repurposed 5 litre minikegs due to the metallic taste they developed. That said some on here believe PBs are the dogs whatsits, and others are happy using very expensive minikegs systems with CO2 driven top taps. PersonalIy, if I were intending to store beer in bulk, I would be looking at a corny system, but I'm not, so I won't be wink...

What's the ideal secondary fermentation temperature? It's been around 18 in it's barrel location, dipping slightly below during the night. This weekend will be one week in the barrel so far.

I leave my barrels to carbonate (secondary fermentation) for 2 weeks at fermentation temperature. I then chill them down to 10C for at least 2 weeks before serving, longer if I’ve got something else to drink :laugh8:

I only used bottles now. A mixture of flip tops and PET. I gave up on PBs due to leaks. I also stopped using repurposed 5 litre minikegs due to the metallic taste they developed. That said some on here believe PBs are the dogs whatsits, and others are happy using very expensive minikegs systems with CO2 driven top taps. PersonalIy, if I were intending to store beer in bulk, I would be looking at a corny system, but I'm not, so I won't be wink...
Interesting how we brewers have quite different experiences! I try to bottle 4-6 flip-top bottles each brew. I prime the whole batch in my PB then transfer to bottles from there. I’m just drinking a Yorkshire bitter I brewed back in February from flip-top bottles. While there was a bit of a “phut” when I opened the bottles, the head was nowhere near as good as from the PB and the carbonation from the bottled beer was just, just acceptable. So, from my experience and not withstanding all the issues I’ve been through to get my PBs working, I much prefer bulk stored beer to bottled, and not because of the faff involved in bottling.

Plus, the comment about storing beer in bulk, I just don't have it in me to have 40 pint bottles to put a brew in so a barrel it is. I'm at the moment using kits which brew 40 pints. I'm not going to the effort to make everything myself for 5 or so pints, so it will always be bulk batches.

Interesting how we brewers have quite different experiences! I try to bottle 4-6 flip-top bottles each brew. I prime the whole batch in my PB then transfer to bottles from there. I’m just drinking a Yorkshire bitter I brewed back in February from flip-top bottles. While there was a bit of a “phut” when I opened the bottles, the head was nowhere near as good as from the PB and the carbonation from the bottled beer was just, just acceptable. So, from my experience and not withstanding all the issues I’ve been through to get my PBs working, I much prefer bulk stored beer to bottled, and not because of the faff involved in bottling.
My use of flip tops and PETs is not driven by carbonation and lack of head. Its down to the fact that I have given up on PBs (mine leaked) and repurposed minikegs (metallic taste). Had I not had this issues I would still be using them, since when working they do have some advantages over bottles. But as far as bottles are concerned I have no problems with carbonation or lack of head, apart from the odd one or two brews which are down to 'user error'.

My use of flip tops and PETs is not driven by carbonation and lack of head. Its down to the fact that I have given up on PBs (mine leaked) and repurposed minikegs (metallic taste). Had I not had this issues I would still be using them, since when working they do have some advantages over bottles. But as far as bottles are concerned I have no problems with carbonation or lack of head, apart from the odd one or two brews which are down to 'user error'.
So we agree then!

This weekend will be two weeks in the barrel, I'm wondering if it'll be ok to draw a pint or two? I know some let it sit for two weeks, some longer. Maybe experimenting is the way to go?

I usually leave my Keg at 20C for 2 weeks to carbonate then drop the temperature to 10-12C to condition. I "try" to leave it for at least 2 weeks before a taster. In my experience the longer you can leave it the better.

It's been between 16-18 for the past two weeks. Was warmer for the primary fermentation.

I can tell you want to try the fruits of your labour! :laugh8: If it’s your first pressure barrel experience and in the interest of “research” I’m sure a little snifter would be in order. I don’t know your preferred serving temperature but if you’re happy with 16C give it a try. You’ll find out if it’s carbonated and what it tastes like so you’ve got something to compare later tastings. Enjoy:beer1:

Latest posts

Back