Is this ruined?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just brewed a Mangrove Jacks grapefruit IPA.
I made it up with 1kg of spraymalt, fermented it at 20-21degrees for 18 days. I dry hopped on day 13 using a hopbag, and cold crashed it for 24hours.
Cleaned all the kit and used ‘no rinse steriliser powder’ (sodium percarbonate) to sterilise.
I have just kegged it, but when I opened up the FV I noticed some growth on top of the liquid.
Please can someone have a look at let me know if this is ruined or not?
Thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188850579@N02/shares/2t015D

Hi,

I have just brewed a Mangrove Jacks grapefruit IPA.
I made it up with 1kg of spraymalt, fermented it at 20-21degrees for 18 days. I dry hopped on day 13 using a hopbag, and cold crashed it for 24hours.
Cleaned all the kit and used ‘no rinse steriliser powder’ (sodium percarbonate) to sterilise.
I have just kegged it, but when I opened up the FV I noticed some growth on top of the liquid.
Please can someone have a look at let me know if this is ruined or not?
Thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188850579@N02/shares/2t015D
Could well just be hop related detritus. Keg or bottle it, 2-3 weeks to carbonate. Give it a try. Remember that you might need to give it 2-3 weeks longer to age the brew. Takes a while for all the flavours to really fall into place.
good luck 🍺👍

Thanks,
Just smells of that yeasty homebrew smell at the moment. Had a taste as I was kegging and tastes quite young and yeasty still, not sour, so fingers crossed.
Sounds good 👌 it is so easy to second guess yourself. I thought I had just ruined a Porter. However, put it in the Keg the other night. Had a sneaky taste and 🥳🥳

The oily film could well be hop oils, especially if you have dry hopped with a lot of hops.
Finished brews often leave weird stuff floating on top but you usually leave that behind as you package the beer.
Otherwise it looks OK.
And if you have packaged into a PB check it's holding pressure by drawing a little off at about day 3, by which time there should be some pressure build up.
But perhaps for next time, IPAs are usually well carbonated like lagers, and PBs are not best suited to highly carbed beer styles, but are fine for low carbed beers like ales (all on the assumption that they dont leak ashock1)

The oily film could well be hop oils, especially if you have dry hopped with a lot of hops.
Finished brews often leave weird stuff floating on top but you usually leave that behind as you package the beer.
Otherwise it looks OK.
And if you have packaged into a PB check it's holding pressure by drawing a little off at about day 3, by which time there should be some pressure build up.
But perhaps for next time, IPAs are usually well carbonated like lagers, and PBs are not best suited to highly carbed beer styles, but are fine for low carbed beers like ales (all on the assumption that they dont leak ashock1)
Thanks, that’s good to know, I’ve not dry hopped with a large amount before. I used 100g for this brew (the MJ pack + 50g Amarillo).
The brew is in a corny keg carbonating, not a pressure barrel.

Otherwise it looks OK.
Curse of the leaky Keg.
1591912771101.png

I would be interested to hear how you’ve found this as I have been very tempted to have a go at this kit for a while, unfortunately last time I checked it wasn’t in stock. Sounds great.

I would be interested to hear how you’ve found this as I have been very tempted to have a go at this kit for a while, unfortunately last time I checked it wasn’t in stock. Sounds great.

It’s sat in the corny carbing up for two weeks now, I’ll let you know when it try it 👍🏻🍻

Been in the keg nearly 4 weeks now. It’s carbonated nicely, but it is still cloudy and tastes like homebrew.
It’s got a real strong smell and taste to it that can only be described as “homebrew”.🤮
Not sure what I’ve done wrong, but it tastes nothing like Elvis Juice, which it is marketed as being inspired by.
5BA62B33-0AD2-47A8-9B70-3C08D6264A4F.jpeg

This one might end up tipped away to make room in the keg for my AG Kveik Pale Ale.
This is rubbish as by the time I’d bought the malt extract and some extra hops it’s near enough £30 going down the drain.

I’ve got 4 bottles put away so I might keep those and test every month or so going forward to see if she changes it.

Latest posts

Back