Is this the beginning of the end for the Conservatives.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imagine what it is like to have been taught and used imperial measurements throughout your Schooling, at University, during National Service, at the time of your wedding and birth of your son, and then to be told everything must change! Couple that with a brain which refuses to tackle mental arithmetic and you will see my problem, and why I always carry a 10ft, sorry 3 metre tape measure in my trouser pocket.

The whole point of the metric system is that it doesn't require mental arithmetic. If you can multiply by 10, you're all good.

Imagine what it is like to have been taught and used imperial measurements throughout your Schooling, at University

Conversely, imagine what it's like for everyone under the age of 60 who was taught metric throughout their schooling. Have you really missed champagne being sold in pints?

Lets be right; we are not going to change from the metric system, of course not. It's just a bit of daft kite-flying by the Tories to appeal to (some of) the older generation.

I still use both and rarely try to convert between them unless I'm transcribing an American beer recipe. I still think imperial encourages mental agility just because of the number of factors in the units: 16 ounces in a pound- lots of factors of 16; 12 pence in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound; 1760 yards in a mile; 2240 lbs in a ton, with stones and cwt in between. What can you do with 10? not a lot, but worst of all when it comes to measurement is that you can't keep halving it, but have to descend another order of 10!

Conversely, imagine what it's like for everyone under the age of 60 who was taught metric throughout their schooling. Have you really missed champagne being sold in pints?
I'm only 51 and I was taught both at school though my children still don't know what. ' & " mean even though it is still printed on their rulers....and they use it when measuring themselves which I find hilarious...

Lets be right; we are not going to change from the metric system, of course not. It's just a bit of daft kite-flying by the Tories to appeal to (some of) the older generation.

Is that the older generation that Boris thought of when he said let the bodies pile high in the streets?

We seem to have drifted off topic with all this talk of the metric system. However while we’re at it, is anyone old enough to remember the uproar in some quarters when our monetary system was decimalised? But now, if anyone advocated a return to 12 pennies to a shilling, 240 to a pound or 20 shillings to a pound their sanity would be questioned.

We seem to have drifted off topic with all this talk of the metric system. However while we’re at it, is anyone old enough to remember the uproar in some quarters when our monetary system was decimalised? But now, if anyone advocated a return to 12 pennies to a shilling, 240 to a pound or 20 shillings to a pound their sanity would be questioned.

Jacob Rees-Mogg thinks it's a good idea.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/a...al-measures-and-double-spacing-in-leaked-memo

JR-M is literally trolling us all.

it's what he does.

I just don't buy it.

I'm no fan of JRM but it's plausible. He seems to have a big house in the country in Somerset and it's pretty normal for that kind of estate to make its own cider. And he mentions using child labour to make it, I can't imagine he lets his kids sit in front of an iPad all day but would encourage them to do "farmy" things like that. He may not get his hands too dirty but I can imagine him being part of a group doing it, making cider helps build his identity as a Zummerset MP.

He is a cheap fraud, whose 'MP for the nineteenth century' shtick should fool no-one. He holds the rest of us in utter contempt, and to top it all, he isn't really 'posh' at all..

Personally I like imperial. Distances are easier to visualise . . . . .
Distances are the only acceptable use of imperial these days, and even then its only for markings or a football pitch, or to allow a conversion of distance from miles to its true and proper unit, which is minutes.

I'll bet J R-M doesn't make his own cider, he wouldn't get his hands dirty doing such lowly work. He will be paying some minimum wage worker to turn the stuff out for him. Actually I rather hope that post Brexit he has no cider as his cider maker has been forced to go back to eastern Europe like so many others.
The man is a leach.

Latest posts

Back