Is this the beginning of the end for the Conservatives.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to adapt in my twenties, and will use either system when it suits. Or, indeed, both if one measurement works better in mm and another in inches 😄
Oddly, somehow I have become accustomed to C for temperature. Didn’t spot that happening. Also cups and spoons when the need arises, usually in cooking.
My wife finds 500ml about right, and a pint too much. I find 500ml leaves me wanting and at risk of opening another bottle…

Temperature is a funny one, a lot of people seem happiest with cold temps in C and hot temps in F.

Although I had to change to centigrade for fermentation, as that was what my temperature controller worked in, I stuck to F for mashing, and had an accurate glass thermometer for that. Most digital thermometers I have come across were liars.

°C is the normal for me although I must gave made the transition from °F at sometime without noticing. I hadn't quite realised it myself either until I read the post above.
I remember being told by an aunt who lived in Abu Dhabi in th 1960s that the temperature there was 105 and very hot but probably being to young and it being to far away to fully understand it then. Subsequently I have been in the Sahara in August where the temperature was 52 and f'ing hot and fully understood what that meant. Perhaps having that experience calibrated me to °C. I would add that going to Svalbard in November where the temperature was -50 °C probably completed that Calibration 🤔

In America, you ask someone to convert imperial measurements into metric- whoever answers?
He’s the one you can buy drugs from.

With the potential sad demise of “Joke of the Day”, I couldn’t find anywhere else to post this.

It‘s only offensive if you vote conservative. It’s Nadine at her best.

Last edited:
Rishi Sunak’s latest catchy slogan. Apologies in advance if it offends anyone.

65CA27D4-DC9E-4964-A957-99137612A8E4.jpeg

It looks like boris has dodged the bullet again -

Letters of no confidence
The resignations of aides come as backbench unrest is growing within the Conservative Party.
The BBC is aware of 17 Tory MPs who have submitted letters of no confidence in the prime minister - 54 are needed to trigger a leadership contest.
Many have cited the PM's participation in parties with staff in No 10 during lockdowns as their motivation to challenge Mr Johnson.
These gatherings included a "bring your own booze" garden party in May 2020 - the email invite to which was sent by Mr Reynolds.
The Metropolitan Police has launched an investigation into 12 of the parties and a full report by Ms Gray is expected to be published afterwards.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60253231

I can see why they're sneaking this out on Christmas Eve, but someone senior in the Tories obviously just doesn't care about how it looks to be drinking champagne by the pint. This is what Brexit was about?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/23/hopes-eu-hangover-will-cured-pints-sparkling-wine/

And once again the promises of Brexit are dashed against the hard rocks of reality - the economics of pint bottles don't work even for Pol Roger, as the moulds for pint bottles have been long since lost and it would take £10k's to make new ones for a tiny market :
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/champagne-pint-bottles-b2007990.html

Last edited:
Back