Is this the beginning of the end for the Conservatives.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trouble with politics today is the people involved, have not grasped the power of the internet you cannot fart without the world knowing, it has turned the world into a village were everybody knows everything about everybody else, if Matt Hancock had chosen to snog here North Minerva Reef Entrance - drone view - YouTube the world would be non the wiser, by the way i would love to go there :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:
Ha! You don’t need the internet to tell if I’ve farted!

And personally I don't think Sunak will get it - his popularity has collapsed among those members who do the ConHome surveys now that he's having to play Mr Bad Guy rather than Mr Handing-out-pots-of-cash

...which is bizarre, right? I thought the Tories were meant to be 'prudent' (/tight fisted).

It's not the beginning of the end for the Conservatives, but it is the beginning of the end for Boris. I think he has to go but appreciate the timing probably isn't right now and they should wait until the new year once the position with Omicron is clearer (though it's fairly clear to me already that this is a mild variant and that hospitalisations will be low).

She may be too young right now, but I think Penny Mordaunt could make a very good leader. Always impresses me in the house and as a naval reservist, has a bit more discipline than some of the clowns around her.

The chances of anyone like Penny Mordaunt must be zero, really. Just look at the Cabinet: are people appointed to the top jobs because of their acumen and ability? Clearly not, when you see loons like Nadine Dorries in it.

A house in Inverurie Aberdeenshire. The front door step completes the picture.

532D1027-657D-4FA0-87C2-C91E701FC8DC.jpeg

Apparently there’s a cracking house party in there every night, but Police Scotland haven’t raided it yet.

Simon Harris posted the following on Twitter. He placed the order via a local COOP to be delivered by Deliveroo.

D5829282-63F5-4D02-AC40-F6A0E8ED0D2B.jpeg

I can see why they're sneaking this out on Christmas Eve, but someone senior in the Tories obviously just doesn't care about how it looks to be drinking champagne by the pint. This is what Brexit was about?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/23/hopes-eu-hangover-will-cured-pints-sparkling-wine/
I can’t read that because it’s behind a paywall. However I’ve seen other articles about returning to imperial measures, which is beyond stupid for a whole bunch of reasons. Certainly when it comes to brewing, I prefer metric by a long way.

However I’ve seen other articles about returning to imperial measures, which is beyond stupid for a whole bunch of reasons.

This is a little bit different, this seems to be specifically something to do with Johnson's fixation on Churchill who drank Pol Roger by the (many) pint(s). You'll notice it's not about the plebs drinking cooking wine by the pint. But politically it just seems an open goal to his opponents, when in the real world most champagne producers (except perhaps Pol Roger as some kind of premium Churchill thing) are not going to make a custom bottle for the UK market, the costs of custom bottles mean that 568ml will probably sell for the same as 750ml.

I can’t read that because it’s behind a paywall. However I’ve seen other articles about returning to imperial measures, which is beyond stupid for a whole bunch of reasons. Certainly when it comes to brewing, I prefer metric by a long way.
I can't read it either. But you're wrong about returning to imperial measurements for one reason and one reason only, but that reason is overwhelming- you get more for your unit measure with imperial! The pre-1980 whiskey bottle held twenty six and two thirds fluid ounces, which is a good deal more than the measly 70cl version we get today. I think wine and sherry etc came in the same bottle size, which is still a tad more than 750ml. Similarly the Americans would argue that since we have 16 ounces in a pound weight, it makes good sense to have 16 fluid ounces in a pint rather than 20. But they're totally mistaken. Which pint would you rather drink????
The fundamental and immutable law of nature here is The measure that gives you the more drink is, by necessity, the right measure. If it's the "imperial" bottle or the "imperial" pint and we have to pour ounces down our throats rather than centilitres, then so be it! :cheers2:

Personally I like metric. Distances are easier to visualise, multiples easier to calculate etc. I am old enough to remember getting my pocket money in pre-decimal cash and learning to add pennies to shillings and shillings to pounds or guineas. A nightmare for a young child new to money. Later in life I did some scuba diving. 10 meters down is one more atmosphere (bar) of pressure. Convert those numbers to fathoms and PSI and try to do the maths for say a decompression and it is so much harder. Do this with oxygen starvation in an emergency and the increase in complexity will kill you.
Metric is beautiful in its simplicity.
If you are so worried about a Pint, decimalise it to 500ml. That's between an imperial pint and a US pint. If you are British you will have to surrender a sip, and if you are an American you will gain a sip.
Rant over.... I'll get my coat....
Happy Christmas everyone!

This is a little bit different, this seems to be specifically something to do with Johnson's fixation on Churchill who drank Pol Roger by the (many) pint(s). You'll notice it's not about the plebs drinking cooking wine by the pint. But politically it just seems an open goal to his opponents, when in the real world most champagne producers (except perhaps Pol Roger as some kind of premium Churchill thing) are not going to make a custom bottle for the UK market, the costs of custom bottles mean that 568ml will probably sell for the same as 750ml.

metric is much easier IMO. cans are easier to do the math especially 500 or 330, even 440 is a third more than 330 so easy to work out. However I'm glad we still have pints in pubs. imagine losing over 10% of your beer if it went to 500ml instead of 568. No doubt there would not be a corresponding reduction in price.

Last edited:
Imagine what it is like to have been taught and used imperial measurements throughout your Schooling, at University, during National Service, at the time of your wedding and birth of your son, and then to be told everything must change! Couple that with a brain which refuses to tackle mental arithmetic and you will see my problem, and why I always carry a 10ft, sorry 3 metre tape measure in my trouser pocket.

Latest posts

Back