Is this too fine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
On my 2nd sack of grain so I'm not too sure
Had a few hassle free brews from first 25 kg bag opened another today but wort wont drain through is it milled to fine maybe
If that's the problem is there any tips out there to help please
1621791662374610046912335828564.jpg
16217917172113520510836086388488.jpg

How big a brain bill was it bigger than you normal and what other grains did you use?
You can get some rice hulls or oat husks to add into the grain to give it some separation if it is that it is milled too fine
P.s is the 2nd bag from the same supplier?

Same supplier different delivery though normally I use 4.5 or 4kg just the same malt I'm only starting all grain so taking it slowly this time I used 3.5 kg

The amount of grain is not too big to generally cause a issue, does the grain look to be finer and have more flour than the first one it does look fine to me from the pic but it is hard to tell.
If it is you need some oat husks or rice hulls to mix in with it as it will give the grain more pockets for the water to run through or you can try stirring it through the mash intermittently as that sometimes helps the grain bed to settle and allow better flow

Didnt take much notice on first bag but maybe it's a sign to progress and start mixing it up
I see not many using single malt in there recipes
Nature intends me to move on lol
But yes I do think it's a bit more flour like this time

I have moved away from Rice / oat hulls and just use 10ml of glucanase, works a treat to help the flow.
Difficult thing about sacks all milled is they do settle, so the less dense larger pieces are on the top such as the husk elements. Towards the bottom of the bag all the fine stuff. This does make consistency an issue as well. Try to get a good blend from top and bottom of the sack.

On another brew with this same problem I'm forced to stand and stir while mashing bit of a pain

I don't know what you were hoping to avoid by BIAB - the major problems with that technique are grain hydration and getting an even mash temperature, problems partially solved by stirring or recirculating the liquid through the grain bed. The mash fork is the symbol of brewers for a reason!

If you can try and raise the temperature at the end of the brew to mash-out temp (76 C), the run off should be a bit more free and less likely to get stuck.

Latest posts

Back