Is this yeast ok to use ? Altec Turbo yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew_ysk

Reaction score
I added 1 tbsp of white sugar to 150ml of my grape "wine" (7.7% ABV, brix=5.0% SG=1.000).
Due to curiosity, i even measured the liquid after sugar added:
brix 15.8%
SG = 1.058
After 20 mins at 20c room temperature, it is like this fine white foam on top.. is it ok to use ? alive still ?
I was expecting thick foam like those of bread yeast.. but this wine yeast is less active than bread yeast. . I even put it into a warmer water (warm to my liking), but it still the same (the aroma of the wine is delightful, but taste unpalatable).
Anybody know if this yeast is alive, ok to use ? is it normal for wine yeast ?

Thx
20211009_162911.jpg
20211009_162917.jpg
20211009_162852.jpg

Last edited:
From BrewUK -

What is Turbo Yeast?

A turbo yeast is nothing like an ordinary pack of wine or beer yeast In fact it is not very good at fermenting beer or wine it is usually far too fast and brutal for this leaving nothing of the desired flavours and bouquets in your brew, turbo yeast is designed for the fastest and most reliable fermentation of a pure sugar/water mix, into pure alcohol.

The idea is of course to make alcohol by fermentation, up to 23% at the moment, but this limit may be pushed further. Fermenting alcohol is usually legal and tax free in most countries, with some exceptions (you are recommended to check up on this in your country before you use our products).

The finished product, pure alcohol between 14% - 23% alcohol, can then be used as a base for mixing drinks, mixing with essences to make lower alcohol versions of many spirits.

From BrewUK -

What is Turbo Yeast?

A turbo yeast is nothing like an ordinary pack of wine or beer yeast In fact, it is not very good at fermenting beer or wine, it is usually far to fast and brutal for this, leaving nothing of the desired flavours and bouquets in your brew, turbo yeast is designed for the fastest and most reliable fermentation of a pure sugar/water mix, into pure alcohol.
The finished product, pure alcohol between 14% - 23% alcohol, can then be used as a base for mixing drinks, mixing with essences to make lower alcohol versions of many spirits.
Oh ya.. now that you mentioned of it, i did heard some brewer said it does not taste good with turbo yeast.. LOL. Now that you explained in plain english.. i got it now.
But, Sadly i have only this yeast at the moment.. to get other yeast, it will takes days... this yeast will have to do for this batch.

Can you then please tell me if this yeast is alive to use or not ? is it normal for wine yeast to foamy like this ? or it should be more vigorous like bread yeast (which foam a thick layer in short time)

By the way, please also recommend me which yeast is best to produce good wine that can be store without spoil.. Thanks.
These are the most available wine yeast from amazon..

1633791516029.png

I wouldn't use it you could get some sent by Monday why ruin your wine for the sake of waiting a couple of days.

I wouldn't use it you could get some sent by Monday why ruin your wine for the sake of waiting a couple of days.
Oh gosh.. i have dumped in 100g of white sugar into the "wine" already (a few minutes ago), thinking gonna pitch in the turbo yeast anyway... .. now.. is it ok ? if you said it is fine, then i will order some better yeast and wait till it come..
So the 100g of white sugar will be for the wild yeast that was in the "wine", they will have a blast of good time now..

Attachments

• 1633791651947.png
    1633791651947.png
    423.8 KB · Views: 28
Can you recommend me which wine yeast is good to use ?
I can't make decision, because the yeast in amazon.de is come with so many diff in price.. and i can't make my mine which is what diff then the other.. because the price diff is so much.

1633791905152.png

this 2 Kitzinger yeast is 2 diff .. the price is 5.98 and 3.39 euro .. so much diff.. no idea where the difference.
1633791835561.png
1633791871434.png

Your title reads
"Is this yeast ok to use ? Altec Turbo yeast"
the answer is no (as per the BrewUK post above) so again the answer to your question
"thinking gonna pitch in the turbo yeast anyway... .. now.. is it ok"
is still no.

Anyway, can you please tell me if the yeast is still alive for wine making? i just want to know. I will order a new yeast strain according to your suggestion .. see what the outcome is..

Anyway, can you please tell me if the yeast is still alive for wine making?

I don't know if you missed my earlier post so i will repeat it here -

Your title reads
"Is this yeast ok to use ? Altec Turbo yeast"
the answer is no (as per the BrewUK post above) so again the answer to your question
"thinking gonna pitch in the turbo yeast anyway... .. now.. is it ok"
is still no.

I don't know if you missed my earlier post so i will repeat it here -

Your title reads

is still no.
Let me rephrase my question:
Is the yeast as shown in the photo alive ?

Anybody know if this yeast is alive, ok to use ? is it normal for wine yeast ?

Your original question is above, 12 posts later you have been told its not OK to use live or not but you are determined to use it anyway, just bung it in and see what happens I'm out.

Your original question is above, 12 posts later you have been told its not OK to use live or not but you are determined to use it anyway, just bung it in and see what happens I'm out.
I Thought you said "NO" as it is NO good yeast to use to make grape wine as per your taste.
Pardon me as your NO is such a short answer that can be imagined as "no, don't use the turbo yeast" instead of "NO it is not doing well, the yeast is not so active"..
Thanks Now i can chuck away the yeast.

Latest posts

Back