Is two bottles of wine night every other day too much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobtheblob

Regular.
Reaction score
As per title. I'll drink perhaps a bottle and a half every other day.

Your call, of course, but since you asked...for me, that is too much. I'm not a medic, but surely this intake level must means your body is basically spending all of the time processing alcohol (either getting drunk or recovering from being drunk). It never gets a chance to recalibrate/purge so your tolerance will be way up there. If you could allow more time in between sessions and/or lower your per-session consumption, I bet you would find that you'd enjoy drinking more and that you wouldn't need to drink the same amount to enjoy the feelings alcohol provides.

All far easier said than done, of course.

Last edited:
I think a bottle every other day would be fine, if that's all you drank, a bottle and a half too much but equivalent to what I drink in ale and wine id say.

I used to drink a bottle of wine a night but mostly drink ale now, often 4 pints a night.

We all know it’s probably not OK but among all the other things that will harm us (sun, pollution, global warming, terrorism, tiger?) at least this one gives us some pleasure and on that note I’ll probably continue to drink beer every night.

Your doctor would definitely say it is.

My old Irish doctor was a smoker and a whiskey drinker.
He was very abrupt and straight talking, great bloke 🙂
He was also our work doctor.
I was having a medical at work many years ago and the question of alcohol and cigarette consumption, "20 + cigs a day and maybe 4 - 6 pints lager a night, (more weekends) was met with.
I'll put you down for ten cigs a night and ten pints a week 👍😁

On the subject of how much wine a night, i always used to think 75cl was just short and 1ltr was more the mark so i decided to buy boxes of wine.
4 bottle box one night i struggled a bit with the stairs going to bed.
Thinking I must of drank 2 whole bottles I consoled myself that I'd still have another 2 in the box and enough for the following night.

I managed to get about a glass out of it 😳 and never bought boxes again 😂

It depends what you mean by too much. Will it increase the risk of health problems? Almost certainly yes, but whether or not it's worth that risk will determine if it's too much. It could be argued that obesity and inactivity carry a higher risk than over-drinking, but most people will happily take the risk of lying in front of the TV stuffing their face every night.

As per title. I'll drink perhaps a bottle and a half every other day.
That's an average of 3/4 of a bottle every day. Many wines are 14% today.

7 x 3/4 x 750ml = 55 units a week; The recommended limit is 14.

It depends what you mean by too much. Will it increase the risk of health problems? Almost certainly yes, but whether or not it's worth that risk will determine if it's too much. It could be argued that obesity and inactivity carry a higher risk than over-drinking, but most people will happily take the risk of lying in front of the TV stuffing their face every night.

If the OP is asking the question I have a feeling that they already know the answer.

The number of calories in alcohol is second only to pure fat, there’s a reason why there’s such a thing as a beer belly! Drinking 3/4 of a bottle every night is contributing an additional 500 to 700 calories to daily in take, that’s approximately a Big Mac to a Big Mac and fries. The damaging effects of excess alcohol aside, I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusion as to the long term implications of all those (probably) excess calories.

I used to drink 5 bottles of beer/cider a night, I cut that down to one bottle by drinking wine. That crept up to two bottles so have now cut down to one bottle again by switching to vodka.
:laugh8::laugh8:

Latest posts

Back