iSpindel - Argh.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyMick

Reaction score
Hi..

I've started building an iSpindel from a kit, and got as far as flashing the software. That seemed to go OK, but I couldn't find the configuration page via WiFi. When I've connected back to the flashing software I now have no MACs showing where I did beforehand..

Have I blown the board inadvertently, as the software also can't now find the Wemos module..

Bah..

And bugger. I've posted in the wrong part of the forum. My incompetence knows no bounds today...

Hi..

I've started building an iSpindel from a kit, and got as far as flashing the software. That seemed to go OK, but I couldn't find the configuration page via WiFi. When I've connected back to the flashing software I now have no MACs showing where I did beforehand..

Have I blown the board inadvertently, as the software also can't now find the Wemos module..

Bah..

And bugger. I've posted in the wrong part of the forum. My incompetence knows no bounds today...
Hey pal, how's it going?

I've not long set up an iSpindel, want to give some more specifics please and hopefully I can help out?

Hey Ghillie - it's bloody frustrating! Hopefully you'll be able to guide me a touch, although I've made a little progress in a fit of 'one more try'! Appreciate any little bit of advice you may have!

I'm now in the position where I've blanked the Wemos memory and reflashed it successfully, so I now have mac addresses and a successful flash. I also briefly managed to connect to the device with my phone, then lost the connection when I started to enter the WiFi network info and can't connect again. Any ideas on why that may be?

But, progress has been made and I've put it away for the day before I go I to meltdown!

Had a few issues myself during setup which made me want to throw it in the bin.

The main problem is poor instructions, that's really it. I've done quite a bit of open source projects over the years and came to realise that clever people can't write instructions to save their lives, it's painfully frustrating. Nevertheless, rant over!

Regarding connecting to the iSpindel's access point (or WiFi network) to enter the config menu, don't use your phone - use a PC or laptop to do so. My phone wouldn't connect properly and the only real solution was to use my laptop. The guide specifically mentions to use your phone, but there's no reason why it has to be a phone. No reason at all.

The config menu times out after a certain amount of inactivity. My phone would just throw it off for no good reason. Once disconnected, you can't re-connect without restarting the iSpindel. For me this means opening the lid and shorting out two pins on the top of the PCB twice, like a double tap. You may well have a reset button on yours?

In short, use a computer to connect with the iSpindel - I'd bet that will sort your problem athumb..

Had a few issues myself during setup which made me want to throw it in the bin.

The main problem is poor instructions, that's really it. I've done quite a bit of open source projects over the years and came to realise that clever people can't write instructions to save their lives, it's painfully frustrating. Nevertheless, rant over!

Regarding connecting to the iSpindel's access point (or WiFi network) to enter the config menu, don't use your phone - use a PC or laptop to do so. My phone wouldn't connect properly and the only real solution was to use my laptop. The guide specifically mentions to use your phone, but there's no reason why it has to be a phone. No reason at all.

The config menu times out after a certain amount of inactivity. My phone would just throw it off for no good reason. Once disconnected, you can't re-connect without restarting the iSpindel. For me this means opening the lid and shorting out two pins on the top of the PCB twice, like a double tap. You may well have a reset button on yours?

In short, use a computer to connect with the iSpindel - I'd bet that will sort your problem athumb..
Thank you - I do have a reset button on mine, so I'll try using that..

I have tried with my laptop, but Google won't go to the ip address given - it just searches for the ip I want. I'll look at that in the morning!

Thank you - I do have a reset button on mine, so I'll try using that..

I have tried with my laptop, but Google won't go to the ip address given - it just searches for the ip I want. I'll look at that in the morning!
No problem.

Aye use the reset button and that will start the iSpindel access point again.

Then click on the WiFi icon in your taskbar to see all available WiFi networks; "iSpindel" will be one of them. Click on it, your laptop will connect to the iSpindel and the menu page should automatically pop up on screen. From this you can access whatever you want, including the configuration menu.

There shouldn't be any need to enter IP addresses in browsers, although the instructions say to...

Keep faith. Once you accept the fact that the instructions are dog *****, it's actually okay.

As you say, the issue seems to be p*ss poor instructions!

I'll update how far I've got tomorrow - hopefully I'll not be hurling the damned thing at the wall!

Thank you. I appreciate the help and a forum to winge on...

Yeah the instructions are howling.

Try and be patient, I know it's tough though - I nearly set mine on fire I was that angry. I got a lot of help from a guy on FB though, basically told me what to ignore entirely and it was pretty easy after that.

Hear from you tomorrow. We'll get there!

Definitely getting there! Changed the USB cable I'm using and connected on the laptop immediately..

I have temp readings, and am connected to WiFi, but no tilt measurement as yet, although I still have to calibrate the damned thing and check it'll charge the battery!

Thanks for your help so far!

Definitely getting there! Changed the USB cable I'm using and connected on the laptop immediately..

I have temp readings, and am connected to WiFi, but no tilt measurement as yet, although I still have to calibrate the damned thing and check it'll charge the battery!

Thanks for your help so far!
Going via the laptop let you into the config menu no problem without booting you out then?

So you're getting temperature but not angle of tilt? Don't think you'll get a tilt reading until you enter a polynomial value.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19A...33GSU8dZkeJlCQO-rQPiLPOPKNphWAvwUohIq3r-kyVb8
From the above link, jump to the slide "Setup – Sensor Calibration", and do the offset calibration.

Then you have a couple of options:

1. Dump your iSpindel in 20C tap water and see what the angle of tilt is (iSpindel Info page when connected on WiFi). If it's 25degrees or damn close, then you might get away with this generic polynomial to copy and paste into the polynomial box in the configuration menu:

(1.0000E-6*(tilt^3))-(1.3137E-4*(tilt^2))+(6.9680E-3*tilt)+(8.9493E-1)

2. If your angle of tilt is a good bit off 25degrees, then enter your tap water's SG and the angle of tilt into the boxes at the top of the following excel spreadsheet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HSDzV-Ri2Rl4ieSaZXOEopSM4OtsoCW1/view
Then copy the polynomial it generates into the box in the config menu of your iSpindel as detailed above.

3. Then there's the long winded method of getting tilt angles from 1.000 all the way up to the biggest beer you'll brew in increments of 0.010. Not done this myself though. This is ultimately the most accurate way to do it, but will take the longest time of course. The iSpindel docs calls this the "easy method though...

http://www.ispindel.de/docs/Calibration_en.html

Great stuff..

I've currently got the battery charging so I can check the 'angle of dangle', and will go through these instructions tomorrow afternoon!

Might be worth considering this becoming a 'sticky' for anyone else foolish enough to consider giving this a go!

Nice one.

FWIW, one USB cable I used the LED always stayed red. Pulled it out the iSpindel, reconnected and it would go blue. Had been fully charged for ages but for some bizarre reason, the cable I was using wouldn't allow the LED to change... Worth bearing in mind.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

If the iSpindel is reading the temperature and voltage but not the tilt angle then the issue is that the accelerometer is not being read probably. I had that issue when the tilt was always reading 0.00 degrees. Check that the connections between the Wemos D1 and MPU6050 are good.
The calibration only affects the gravity reading as it is derived from the tilt angle.
Also a tip is to have the usb connected and use a terminal app (like hyperterminal) as data is sent to this and you can read what the iSpindel is doing.

If the iSpindel is reading the temperature and voltage but not the tilt angle then the issue is that the accelerometer is not being read probably. I had that issue when the tilt was always reading 0.00 degrees. Check that the connections between the Wemos D1 and MPU6050 are good.
The calibration only affects the gravity reading as it is derived from the tilt angle.
Also a tip is to have the usb connected and use a terminal app (like hyperterminal) as data is sent to this and you can read what the iSpindel is doing.
Good points @steveb! The OP says he's yet to carry out any calibration yet, so I'm assuming there's no polynomial entered or offset calibration done and thus no angle of tilt measurements to display?

Today's update isn't great! I charged the battery this morning while I worked from home. Unfortunately, I can't get the iSpindel to run powered by the battery so I obviously need to revisit how I've connected it via the switch etc. That's possibly a job for tomorrow as I've still got to sort out my expenditure for the rest of the financial year!

Today's update isn't great! I charged the battery this morning while I worked from home. Unfortunately, I can't get the iSpindel to run powered by the battery so I obviously need to revisit how I've connected it via the switch etc. That's possibly a job for tomorrow as I've still got to sort out my expenditure for the rest of the financial year!
Bloody tax month, just **** it off and go under the radar:laugh8:

Feel free to attach photos of your soldered battery connections, etc - or message them if you'd prefer.

Where was the battery from and is it branded, also what's the mAh capacity? There's always the possibility that it's a dud. Should read ~4.2VDC at full charge - if you've a multimeter handy. That at least would more or less prove the battery sound.

I have built an iSpindel from a kit. All works OK for a few minutes. ISpindel appears on my network list and I can connect configure and get information. Then after a about 3 minutes the blue LED goes out and ISpindel disappears. If I press the reset button it stars up for another 3 minutes. Anybody had this and knows how to fix. Thanks in anticipation.

Quick update on my build - I'm not ignoring things, but dealing with a situation at work that may take a few days to sort out, so no updates at the minute! Still appreciate all the advice and help though..

I have built an iSpindel from a kit. All works OK for a few minutes. ISpindel appears on my network list and I can connect configure and get information. Then after a about 3 minutes the blue LED goes out and ISpindel disappears. If I press the reset button it stars up for another 3 minutes. Anybody had this and knows how to fix. Thanks in anticipation.
Same problem from Mac/PC as well as a mobile device/tablet?

Latest posts

Back