iSpindel - digital WiFi hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the kit from 3D mechatronics and assembled it. All good apart from the very specific orientation instruction for the battery connector that turned out to be wrong (checked colour against pcb marking too late), and ended up with a fried charger board and temp sensor. I also assumed the Wemos would come pre-flashed, as the kit implied it just needed to be soldered together, but it wasn’t, which turned out to be a bit of a challenge with a Mac. Sorted it after a couple of nights of reading through the small number of articles about flashing Wemos via Mac.

Mines in its first brew. I only calibrated it in sugar water. So far the numbers seem sensible, although I didn’t put it in until 24 hours in, so didn’t manage to compare to OG.

Mine did stop communicating with wifi after 4 hours, but a battery charge sorted it. What voltage range do other people go down to?

Also are you guys using ubidots or something else? If I get a second Spindel, even the education version will be a few quid a month.
hi Pottsworth would you happen to have a "how to flash with Mac" for the Wemos?

hi Pottsworth would you happen to have a "how to flash with Mac" for the Wemos?
Not in a single document, but if you read through page 4 of this thread, the information you need is on there.

if you try that and it doesn’t work shout, and I’ll try and help

When you connect to the ispindel, one of the other pages shows the temperature and tilt values, so that should tell you if the tilt and temp are reading correctly.

whenever I’ve set them up I‘be our router details in and clicked save, then it had reset and no longer been visible, so didn’t show and confirmation that it had connected.
Hi Pottsworth, wonder if you can help me. I’ve built an iSpindel and all seems to be working OK. However I am trying to sent data to Brewfather and it is failing to connect. Using Arduino serial monitor I notice that within the output string there is a Username and Password parameter. I’m assuming that Brewfather needs this to connect and apply data to the correct account. There are no fields in ISpindel config to enter these details. Any thoughts. TIA.
FFDD37CC-494F-4708-9C18-AAF6C3E0183C.jpeg

Hi Pottsworth, wonder if you can help me. I’ve built an iSpindel and all seems to be working OK. However I am trying to sent data to Brewfather and it is failing to connect. Using Arduino serial monitor I notice that within the output string there is a Username and Password parameter. I’m assuming that Brewfather needs this to connect and apply data to the correct account. There are no fields in ISpindel config to enter these details. Any thoughts. TIA.View attachment 24686

Mine was linked to brewfather before I build a brewpi.

I just entered the address and URL from brewfather, and it worked fine for me, I need for password / username

EEF913C7-5E8C-4E45-9C89-D98965C9DB81.jpeg

You could try setting up a free ubidots account (app.ubidots.com) and logging to there to isolate brewfather?If that works and you still can’t get brewfather logging to work it’s worth posting in the brewfather Facebook group as the developer of brewfather posts in that group a lot.

Hope that helps?

Shure, drop me a PM. I actually bought one of these original https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HomeBrew-Wifi-Hydrometer-iSpindel-kit-NOW-WITH-3D-SLED-and-instructions/183849732350?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

the PCB is slightly smaller so it does move around, I might have to find something just to pad it out.

the tubes do seem really hard to come by, I've ordered some from eBay to see what they're like but I think it might take a couple of attempts to find one that fits snug.

likewise I'm going to build a couple based on the newer spec bits, waiting for the bits to turn up from China.

Which version of the unit is the Ebay seller selling please? The seller seems not to know, but the battery holder maybe suggests a V4. Or maybe I don't understand?

Which version of the unit is the Ebay seller selling please? The seller seems not to know, but the battery holder maybe suggests a V4. Or maybe I don't understand?

It’s not really a v-anything, as it uses a breadboard instead of a PCB.

The V1 has a small pcb to connect all of the other bits (wemos, angle sensor, charging module, temp sensor) together, then it all sits in the 3D printed sled. The v3, v4, and “Jeffrey“ all have everything on the pcb, so you don't need a sled.

Last edited:
It’s not really a v-anything, as it uses a breadboard instead of a PCB.

The V1 has a small pcb to connect all of the other bits (wemos, angle sensor, charging module, temp sensor) together, then it all sits in the 3D printed sled. The v3, v4, and “Jeffrey“ all have everything on the pcb, so you don't need a sled.

Thanks, I understand now. Is anyone offering a kit for the later PCB's please, I don't think my eyes would cope with the breadboard version?

I got one of a member on another forum, I've used it twice.

once you have seen the graphs a time of two it goes back in the box it's just not that usefull.

Aamcle

I got one of a member on another forum, I've used it twice.

once you have seen the graphs a time of two it goes back in the box it's just not that usefull.

Aamcle

Each to their own, but I disagree. I use mine on every batch to track fermentation, judge when to dry hop, know if I have a stall, tell when I’m close to FG to bump the temp a bit, and know when I have reached a stable FG. I also find it useful for seeing how different yeasts perform (eg CMLs Kveik and four both go off like a train, whereas their five is generally a little slower)

I also have a smart plug attached to my temp controller (inkbird / raspberry pi) so if the iSpindel starts reporting a temp issue (eg stuck on heat / cool) then I could turn it off remotely.

I would seem to have a V5 PCB sorted, now I am looking to purchase the other components. I seem to have found all that I need on Ebay, but I wonder if anyone could check these are the correct items please. There do seem to be several wemos boards, the charger and at least three versions of the gyro board...

Wemos - D1 Mini NodeMcu 4M bytes Lua WIFI Development Boards ESP8266 by WeMos GL | eBay

Gyro - GY-521 3 Axis Gyroscope + Accelerometer Module MPU-6050 I2C ADC Pi Arduino | eBay

Charger - TP4056 MINI USB 5V 1A 18650 Lithium Battery Charger Module Charging Board C30 | eBay

I would seem to have a V5 PCB sorted, now I am looking to purchase the other components. I seem to have found all that I need on Ebay, but I wonder if anyone could check these are the correct items please. There do seem to be several wemos boards, the charger and at least three versions of the gyro board...

Wemos - D1 Mini NodeMcu 4M bytes Lua WIFI Development Boards ESP8266 by WeMos GL | eBay

Gyro - GY-521 3 Axis Gyroscope + Accelerometer Module MPU-6050 I2C ADC Pi Arduino | eBay

Charger - TP4056 MINI USB 5V 1A 18650 Lithium Battery Charger Module Charging Board C30 | eBay

Didn’t know there was a v5 pcb - where’s that from?

Charger is wrong, you need the one with both battery +/- and output +/- like this one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223934269524
Gyro looks OK, but not 100% sure.

The D1 with the large metal block is the older style (V1/V2) D1. On the V4 Ispindel PCB it’s nearly impossible to get onto the USB port once the V1/V2 wemos is soldered on (it ends up under the wemos board), but the v3/v3.1 wemos has the usb on the other side of the board so you can still get onto it.

These are the Ebay from the UK items I have settled upon, apart from the V4 PCB which I have already been promised. These are not the cheapest source, but suggested to be a quicker delivery than the cheapest sourced from China...

Switch SS-12F23 - PCB mount Slide Switches SS & SK range Different types available (2 pack) | eBay

Charger - 5 x TP4056 Battery Protection LiPo Charger Module Board 5V Micro USB Parts TE420 607376624979 | eBay

BAT43 diode - 10 x BAT43 Small Signal Schottky Diode 30V 200mA | eBay

GYRO - GY-521 3 Axis Gyroscope + Accelerometer Module MPU-6050 I2C ADC Pi Arduino | eBay

XL Petling - XL BIG PET Micro Geocaching container geocache cap Petling preform soda bottle | eBay

PCB pins - 40 Pins PCB Connectors Straight Angled Header Single Row Solder Strip Jumper | eBay

WeMOS - WeMos D1 Mini V3.0.0 clone ESP8226 4M Bytes wifi Development Board Module | eBay

Temp. Sensor - 2 x DS18B20 Digital Temperature Sensor Chip Dallas TO92 Raspberry Arduino | eBay

I have not bothered to order resistors, battery, or its holder, as those I am certain to have in stock.

Last edited:

@Harry Bloomfield Have you ordered these yet? The D1 mini and the accelerometer both come with header pins and give you enough left over to mount the charger as well. So you shouldn't need the additional header pins. Also I'm now using TP4056 with a USB-C connector.

I've now built several different iSpindles: from the original PCB and 3D printed sled, the Cherry V4 and V2 OpenSourceDistilling (OSD). I've only used the OSD for actual fermentation. I started my journey with iSpindle from an electronics interest that happened to overlap with an attempt to return to making some wine when my first fermentation went a little wrong.

Speaking just from an assembly an initial configuration point of view, I much prefer the OSD version. The PCB design allows for a snug fit of the PCB into the Pelting and might not require additional weights depending on your battery. I've built 2 OSDs with different batteries and one requires weights, one doesn't.

Does any of that make sense or help?

Chris

@Harry Bloomfield Have you ordered these yet? The D1 mini and the accelerometer both come with header pins and give you enough left over to mount the charger as well. So you shouldn't need the additional header pins. Also I'm now using TP4056 with a USB-C connector.

Does any of that make sense or help?

Chris

Hi Chris - Yes ordered all the parts on Saturday. I had noticed that pins were supplied, but wasn't sure there would be enough so I ordered more.

Any information is helpful - it has been a rather steep learning curve, wading through all the information on this site and others, hence my confusion over the correct parts and providing a list and a list of my sources.

Hi Chris - Yes ordered all the parts on Saturday. I had noticed that pins were supplied, but wasn't sure there would be enough so I ordered more.

Any information is helpful - it has been a rather steep learning curve, wading through all the information on this site and others, hence my confusion over the correct parts and providing a list and a list of my sources.
Always best to have too much, nothing worse than having to wait for more bits to arrive! I'm waiting on a PSU to arrive from China, expected 4 weeks ago, but 3 weeks until I can query!

Are you building a Cherryphilip PCB?

Chris

Latest posts

Back