iSpindel - digital WiFi hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's sent 4k dots in ten minutes, now locked out of it

I have just locked myself out of Ubidots too. I was trying find the graphs for my last brew. Not sure of the dates, I configured for a wide range, then trimmed the dates down a bit, but it locked me out on the third attempt.

Would be much better if it made the problem clear rather than the cryptic
Error loading your data
Something went wrong on our end and we were unable to load your data.

It always comes back, by the next day, maybe resets at midnight gmt?

It's sent 4k dots in ten minutes, now locked out of it

I have just locked myself out of Ubidots too. I was trying find the graphs for my last brew. Not sure of the dates, I configured for a wide range, then trimmed the dates down a bit, but it locked me out on the third attempt.

Would be much better if it made the problem clear rather than the cryptic
Error loading your data
Something went wrong on our end and we were unable to load your data.

It always comes back, by the next day, maybe resets at midnight gmt?

On some brewing forum, maybe this one, I came across a mention of this website which offers the facility of collecting, storing and an ability to display the graph data from an iSpindel and at no charge - all with no obvious limits on how frequently the data is sent or how often the graphs can be viewed.

https://ferment.digital/
Users graphs are able to be viewed by any visitor. There are not many users, but what I notice is some really peculiar values for SG. I have emailed the owner about this problem, but so far no reply.

I am trying to use ubidots but getting stuck at adding variables stage - is there any easy to follow documentation about this specific part? I only want gravity, temperature and battery really. I can log into it and have set the config of the ispindel up on the device.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
On some brewing forum, maybe this one, I came across a mention of this website which offers the facility of collecting, storing and an ability to display the graph data from an iSpindel and at no charge - all with no obvious limits on how frequently the data is sent or how often the graphs can be viewed.

https://ferment.digital/
Users graphs are able to be viewed by any visitor. There are not many users, but what I notice is some really peculiar values for SG. I have emailed the owner about this problem, but so far no reply.
Oh, that looks interesting...

@Harry Bloomfield If you are keen on testing my system, I could spin up an instance for you as I'd be grateful for some feedback, the offer is there for anyone else who's interested too.

Within reason on Firebase there should be no practical limits. I've calculated that the a free Firebase instance should allow for data to be collected every 3 mins or so which should be more than enough (I'm planning on every 20 mins once I'm actually fermenting with the iSpindel allowing for 2 or 3 simultaneous ferments).

Let me know if you're interested and I'll get something sorted.

I am trying to use ubidots but getting stuck at adding variables stage - is there any easy to follow documentation about this specific part? I only want gravity, temperature and battery really. I can log into it and have set the config of the ispindel up on the device.

Thanks for any help.
Well I worked out where I was going wrong in the end. No wonder nobody knew what I was talking about.

I am so used to entering the API key in to websites that ask for it I was doing that rather than the token code it generates. I spent hours trying to work it out yesterday.

Spotted it this morning and now all the data I need is appering on Ubidots like magic. Now to start plotting the next batch.

You live and learn!

Yes please, but I will not be doing any more brews for maybe a few months now. I am fully stocked :cool:

Good work! I'm in no hurry as I'll keep plodding along, but the more pairs of eyes that have a look hopefully the better I can build it!

I've made an initial build public here: Spin//Fire, if anyone is keen to have a go you just need to login with a Google account and then add the required configuration to your iSpindel(s) and you are good to go.

I'll still be developing the tool so some aspects will change, but i'll do my best not to remove any data that arrives in the system whilst people are testing.

The next step is to put a guide together for people to deploy to their own Firebase instance.

I'll take a look too if thats ok ? Just signed in and see that the list includes webhooks - I'd be really keen on that as I use them with Home Assistant to control my heat mat. I'd be happy to try this out when its ready, and write up a little guide / blog for you.

If you want a record of a brew using Ubidots, export the data . If you specify a big data range, you might exceed the dots allowance

If you want a record of a brew using Ubidots, export the data . If you specify a big data range, you might exceed the dots allowance

Which was exactly what happened to me earlier this week. I had a batch on the go, nearing completion and I just wanted to check back on the graph of of one of my previous batches. I used too wide a date range, which downloaded many more data dots than I really needed - result was an instant lock out until the next day.

The lockouts caused me a lot of confusion when I first began experimenting with my iSpindel - Ubidot's error message doesn't make it clear, that you are locked out because of excess data downloaded in one day.

I'll take a look too if thats ok ? Just signed in and see that the list includes webhooks - I'd be really keen on that as I use them with Home Assistant to control my heat mat. I'd be happy to try this out when its ready, and write up a little guide / blog for you.
Of course please have a go! Depending on the weather this weekend I'll either be out on my bike or sat indoors coding... hopefully I'l get the webhooks up and running by next week. I'm planning to start my first brew with the iSpindel next weekend so hoping to have most things up and running by then!

My iSpindel stopped transmitting this morning. At first, I suspected Ubidots had a problem. Then I rest the BT Hub and range extender. No joy.
Eventually, I bit the bullet and took my iSpindel from my FV. It was encrusted with dried Krausen. Once rinsed it started transmitting again. Back in the FV it was fine. My BT Hub and range extender are both within 12 feet of my FV as I have the FV downstairs; it's normally upstairs.

My Tilt has Bluetooth but connects to my Raspberry Pi which has Bluetooth and WiFi. I think this is way superior to the iSpindel. The Tilt cost £99 and the PI about £20. The iSpindel was only £40. Personally, I think the Tilt is worth the extra. BUT, you can't get it for £99 now.

The Tilt will fit in a demijohn whereas the iSpindel is dildo sized. I accidentally logged my wife's temperature one evening and she turns over a lot.

Last edited:
My iSpindel stopped transmitting this morning. At first, I suspected Ubidots had a problem. Then I rest the BT Hub and range extender. No joy.
Eventually, I bit the bullet and took my iSpindel from my FV. It was encrusted with dried Krausen. Once rinsed it started transmitting again. Back in the FV it was fine. My BT Hub and range extender are both within 12 feet of my FV as I have the FV downstairs; it's normally upstairs.

My Tilt has Bluetooth but connects to my Raspberry Pi which has Bluetooth and WiFi. I think this is way superior to the iSpindel. The Tilt cost £99 and the PI about £20. The iSpindel was only £40. Personally, I think the Tilt is worth the extra. BUT, you can't get it for £99 now.

The Tilt will fit in a demijohn whereas the iSpindel is dildo sized. I accidentally logged my wife's temperature one evening and she turns over a lot.
😂🤣😂🤣😂

Back