Ispindel gravity issue.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use an ispindel to monitor my brew and to eventually calculate the ABV. I have gone through the process of calibration and subsequently used it successfully in several brews, always taking a manual gravity reading at the start and end of fermentation to be sure.

I am brewing a pineapple NIPA at the moment which involves adding a kilo of pinaple puree to the fermentation vessel. Its the first brew with the ispindel where I have added something other than hops to the fermentation process.

The starting gravity was 1.048 and matched across manual and ispindel readings. However the ispindel readings are now a bit weird, providing a reading of 0.975 with fermentation still going although almost complete now. This doesn't match a manual reading which comes out at 1.009.

This raises some issues about the gravity.
1. Is my initial gravity reading to low because of the addition of the puree which will have contained some sugar? Probably, but by how much?
2. What is going on with the ispindel? It is still functioning well in terms of readings so a leak is not likely but could the tilt be compromised by floating debris from the puree?

I haven't opened the vessel to look for debris as I don't want to risk compromising the brew.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Back