iSpindel temperature accuracy / lag

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merkin

Reaction score
Just about to start my first brew using @gingerneil's most excellent iSpindel, when a question or two occurred.

How accurate is the iSpindel's temperature sensor, given that it is well thermally insulated from the wort by the air inside the tube?
I can understand that over a longer time period there should not be an issue as it reaches equilibrium, but is there a lag while the air inside the tube heats / cools to match the surrounding liquid?

I'm currently using the InkBird sensor strapped to the side of the FV (under a heavy sponge). Is it worth making an offset adjustment to the InkBird in the light of the iSpindel's readings?

Bearing in mind I've yet to even calibrate the iSpindel, these are purely theoretical questions.
I appreciate I may be fussing over nothing, especially considering factors such as spot readings, heat / liquid currents within the FV etc, but would be interested to know the experience of others.

Thanks

Chris

I've found it to be accurate, at least for the purposes of monitoring the brew. You're right that there will be a slight delay as the air in the tube responds, but I think it's fine.

Back