• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

iSpindels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Selling some iSpindel devices that I've built while trying to fend off the boredom of lockdown and home working!
These are on the Cherry Phillip 4.0 boards, and loaded with the latest firmware 6.3.1 (happy to say that I contributed a couple of small changes to the release despite not been a dev!).
I'm including a genuine samsung 25R battery, UK-sourced and not fake!
I've put a few on ebay, but have agreed with Admin that I can also offer a few here as several people have shown interest, and at a reduced price as I wont pay ebay fees.
The open source software license doesn't allow commercial sale - I'm just a hobbyist and certainly not making much cash on these once the cost of all the parts are considered....
£45 including postage - drop me a message if you have any questions or would like one.

More details on iSpindel - DIY electronic Hydrometer, and plenty on youtube etc. I use mine for not only monitoring fermentation, but also to control a brew mat and therefore temp. I love it and wouldn't be without it now!
@gingerneil
Just realised I bought mine via ebay off you this week.
Look forward to giving it a go. 😊
Cheers Jon

Excellent! Royal mail are doing a great job of losing things at the moment, so I hope it arrived OK!!

I wouldn't say we`re losing stuff.
Its more overwhelmed with parcels and the business is failing.
Walks being left in for 3,4,5 days and then a mass backlog.

Hey Ginger, Id always recommend to send Tracked so then you can trace it exactly. It seems the only service apart from `special deliveries that cannot fail.

As i understand it noone is supposed to go sell built versions. Copyright?

It's not copyright, but there are open source license conditions for the software and hardware designs. They don't allow 'commercial use'. I think it's reasonable to interpret that as being able to build as a hobby and sell built devices - recovering reasonable costs for parts and time, but not developing into a commercial product.

Loads of people on ebay saying it is hobby and then selling loads of them of course. Just because others do it does not make it right, a hobby in electronics is rather wider than ispindles? It is up to you mate. Not bothered. Good luck

I use Conical SS Fermentation vessels in my garage, will the Wifi work in one of these, my home router is in the house about 30 feet away?

I use Conical SS Fermentation vessels in my garage, will the Wifi work in one of these, my home router is in the house about 30 feet away?
Maybe, maybe not. You could use a wifi range extender if your garage has sockets. But try, you might be lucky. Mine is hit and miss, in the house but two walls between it and the router. But mine is in a plastic FV. While in Config mode you can see the wifi signal strength on your phone.

Speaking as a retired electronics engineer with a fair amount of experience of RF, the expectation would be that a stainless steel vessel would act as an RF shield allowing RF signals neither to enter or leave (q.v. Faraday Shield). If the lid were to make good electrical contact with the body and there were no holes then the attenuation would be very close to 100%. However the lid will have a silicone seal and there are holes. If you are lucky these just might leak enough signal to communicate with a nearby wifi extender. So it's one of those 'are you feeling lucky?' moments. My bet would be that it won't work at all, but if you can somehow borrow kit and do a test then that is really the only way to be sure.
In contrast a plastic vessel will be transparent to wifi signals (2.4GHz / 5GHz), the beer itself will cause some attenuation but the design of the ispindle would have taken that into account.
I use a SS fermenter and for this reason I opted for a PLATO airlock CO2 bubble counter which is outside the shielding effect of the vessel. I find PLATO is a good tracker of fermentation but gives only an indirect calculation of FG, so a final hydrometer reading is still needed.
Hope that helps.

There are ways to use a short length of coax, sealed by a grommet that allows the radio waves out.

Latest posts

Back