ISP's and usage.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncrobinson

Landlord.
Reaction score
Since I started watching youtube my monthly data has gone from 3 to 20Gb per month.
I am on pay-go mobile data at that, ashock1

I am with TalkTalk on the Fibre 65 package which is fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) @ £26 per month, fibre 65 is capped at 80Mbps.

ssssss.jpg

I imagine Netflix and other similar services have increased usage a lot during the pandemic

Netflix - 2 GB to stream a two-hour SD movie, 6 GB to stream the HD version or 14 GB for the 4K stream.

ssssss.jpg

NOTE: 1 PetaByte is equal to 1,000 TeraBytes (TB) or 1,000,000 GigaBytes (GB).

openreach_broadband_traffic_jan_to_dec_2020.jpg

I'm on BT Halo1 FTTH and mine is way up there between streaming,Xboxes,phones and laptops but it is unlimited and no glitches.

I am considering a move to FTTP when it becomes available here its only £5 a month more for double the speed.

What speeds are you getting?

we have fibre to the home running at around 115MB download and we normally get through around 200GB of data per month, but i do run a business from home and have netfix and Sky + two teenage daughters, so im surprised its not more.

we have fibre to the home running at around 115MB download and we normally get through around 200GB of data per month, but i do run a business from home and have netfix and Sky + two teenage daughters, so im surprised its not more.

Netflix has bumped our usage up a lot and my son has not watched live TV in years he streams everything when 4k becomes more widespread usage is going to go through the roof.

I am considering a move to FTTP when it becomes available here its only £5 a month more for double the speed.

What speeds are you getting?
I'm on 150Mbps and is more than ample for our needs and we're a big family as there are 6 of us though one less at home as she has gone to Uni..

We don't use our phones but for calling and texting so we pay 15$/month each for phones with 1GB of data between us per month and we won't come close to that.
Internet is currently 200Mbps but I know for a fact we don't need that. At one point I read 6Mbps was sufficient to stream Netflix. I'll be going down to 100Mbps or less next month if it's available.

Good speed how much is that per month?
I have 2* Pixel 4A's and 3 Sims on contract,BT Halo Fibre,Phone which is digital and BTTV with BT Sports all as a package for £110 a month and as I have Halo all mobile data is doubled of which mine is 30gb,wife is 6gb and the children 4gb each.Can't get anyone to match it to be fair.Thereis also 500gb cloud storage and MCAfee mobile,web and pc antivirus plus other benefits.

We only get about 20mbs at our house, but it's plenty fast enough.
In the 'old days' where everyone downloaded stuff, faster was better.
But I would say 95% of our media is now consumed via streaming and that is way lower in bandwidth requirements.

Teams HD video call about 4mbs
Netflix 5mbs
Amazon 4mbs
BBC iplayer 2mbs
Call of duty / Verdun online gaming via Steam about 3mbs

So between me, mrsnicks90 and the crotch goblin, we can all be doing 'stuff' and not hit any buffering on what is considered archaic connection speeds.

As for monthly usage, Jeez - probably in the region of a small country. Its getting used all day every day!

Latest posts

Back