Issue with Inkbird ITC308S - anyone else had this?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could be changed with the code. - Sample over a minute, take an average and check that against the set value. Even if it is a hardware fault it would be a cheap workaround.

What's your delay setting? If the temperature reading only changes for a few seconds, it shouldn't switch on the fridge if it's less than the delay setting.

Mine is set to 3 minutes to reduce wear on the compressor.

I have the compressor delay set to 10mins but of course once this time is up then the next time the temperature reading has a 'blip' it just turns back on again...

I have the compressor delay set to 10mins but of course once this time is up then the next time the temperature reading has a 'blip' it just turns back on again...

I'll pay more attention to mine next time I'm setting mine, I could have sworn the green cooling light starts flashing when the temperature gets too high and then 3 minutes later the fridge comes on.

Thanks for looking into this.

For what it's worth, the probe on my ITC-310T is detachable whereas the one on my ITC-308 is not (unless I've missed something). That being the case, it wouldn't be a contact problem as Drunkula has suggested.
Hello,
The material are the same.
There are two versions of the controllers, one is detachable, other is not.

A quick update on this - although I haven't heard anything directly from inkbird, they have been good enough to issue me a full refund as none of their suggestions from their customer services seemed to help the problem. I cannot fault them for that and am appreciative.

One week into my next fermentation giving the inkbird a final chance and with all the setup the same as before and remarkably it now appears to be behaving itself - I think that's called sod's law! We will see what happens when I cold crash though as that's when it previously went particularly haywire...

A quick update on this - although I haven't heard anything directly from inkbird, they have been good enough to issue me a full refund as none of their suggestions from their customer services seemed to help the problem. I cannot fault them for that and am appreciative.

One week into my next fermentation giving the inkbird a final chance and with all the setup the same as before and remarkably it now appears to be behaving itself - I think that's called sod's law! We will see what happens when I cold crash though as that's when it previously went particularly haywire...

Hi Chrisb8 how did it turn out? I'm having exactly the same issue, it's only been out the box 4 days. Temp suddenly jumps a degree or so, switches on the fridge for a split second and straight back off while the temp drops back down again.

A quick update on this - …
Hi Chrisb8 how did it turn out? I'm having exactly the same issue, it's only been out the box 4 days. Temp suddenly jumps a degree or so, switches on the fridge for a split second and straight back off while the temp drops back down again.
I've never read this thread until @Bocker Wright woke it up today. I have exactly the same issue and hadn't realised it's an issue others see too. I'm one of the ones that doesn't see the display change, only hears the fridge (freezer) switch on and quickly off again.

As I've got ITC-1000Fs to replace it as part of a "keezer" build I haven't been too disturbed about it. But here I am over a year later with what now seems to be a dud designed ITC-308 possibly trashing my freezer, and I've still not built the "keezer" yet. It's time I started getting concerned about these ITC-308s too.

I've never read this thread until @Bocker Wright woke it up today. I have exactly the same issue and hadn't realised it's an issue others see too. I'm one of the ones that doesn't see the display change, only hears the fridge (freezer) switch on and quickly off again.

As I've got ITC-1000Fs to replace it as part of a "keezer" build I haven't been too disturbed about it. But here I am over a year later with what now seems to be a dud designed ITC-308 possibly trashing my freezer, and I've still not built the "keezer" yet. It's time I started getting concerned about these ITC-308s too.

I'm hoping it's user error but I can't see how. here's a video as to whats happening.

@Inkbird can you offer any advice or help with this?

Last edited:
Watching this thread with interest as I thought I'd probably be buying one of these quite soon.

Am I correct in thinking that the Inkbird ITC -1000 has the same functions as the ITC - 308, the only difference being the former has to be mounted in an enclosure then add mains sockets and the latter device comes already with mains sockets for heating and cooling?

The ITC-1000 is for building into a panel (so it will be an integral part of the "keezer"). People with a healthy fear of mains electricity (and those who don't care about their bodged wiring skills!) need not apply. I don't know if it is otherwise identical with an ITC-308 and therefore has the on-off quirky fault too; I just hope not!

I'm OK with electrical currents, high voltage AC & DC @peebee spent a whole career in their company ;)

Just downloaded the user manual so looks like I've answered my original query, yes the ITC - 1000 does the same job as the 308.

Last edited:
Sorry to be gnomic but it's really impossible to say without having one to play with.
My guess is it might be a faulty connection to the temp sensor, either in the cable or the connector where it plugs into the unit (if there is one)... but I'd emphasise that's really just a guess.
I've never used an Inkbird or an ITC-1000. I've got a clone of one of the latter in my parts box, but I've never powered it up. I know it uses a K-type thermocouple, but personally I don't really like those. My own designs use the widely available waterproof digital temperature sensor based on the DS18B20 but those would not work with a unit designed to accept a K-type analogue sensor.

1604940479254.png

Just to add to this I have had this happen on 3 ITC 308s now, the first started after 18 months or so, put it down to bad luck and bought a replacement, which started to do the same thing after a month or so. Contacted inkbird who after a short email battle sent a replacement probe (even tho not replaceable and I had to rewire) which didn’t do anything to solve the problem. Eventually they sent a replacement which is now working fine but I have noticed it has just started on my kegerator controller. Will be looking for another controller to replace it, wasn’t very impressed with inkbird after hearing good things about them previously, I sent multiple videos of the fault actually occurring and they we’re still disputing it

OK I've just watched the video, and having seen that it looks a lot less like a faulty sensor because the change in reading is so closely synchronised with the click of the relay.
I'm somewhat in agreement with @chopps that it could be something more like an electrical interference issue; but again it's hard to tell. I'd be interested to know it it still happens when you have the controller unplugged from the load (the heater and/or refrigeration unit) and you make the relay switch by 'manually' warming up the sensor

Sorry to be gnomic but it's really impossible to say without having one to play with.
My guess is it might be a faulty connection to the temp sensor, either in the cable or the connector where it plugs into the unit (if there is one)... but I'd emphasise that's really just a guess.
I've never used an Inkbird or an ITC-1000. I've got a clone of one of the latter in my parts box, but I've never powered it up. I know it uses a K-type thermocouple, but personally I don't really like those. My own designs use the widely available waterproof digital temperature sensor based on the DS18B20 but those would not work with a unit designed to accept a K-type analogue sensor.

I’ve got 2 knackered ones I’ll send you if you want

It’s bizarre what happens, the probe seems fine when you hold it and it will respond to temp changes but then in use it’s almost as if it’s not sampling as it will stick on a value and then suddenly step change by a degree or so and turn the cooling on, then instantly go back to set point and turn it off again

If it seems to behave itself when you're holding the sensor, then that could support the be the earthing effect of your body reducing the electrical interference, IF that is what is causing the problem. Does it behave reliably like that whenever you're holding the sensor, even when it's connected up to a proper load (heater and/or refrigerator) ?

Back