It’s time using Kviek

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all
Because of the warming weather I’m going to use kviek for the first time and leave in the green house. Because of the speed and vigour of the fermentation is it best to rig my vessel with a blow off tube or will the box standard airlock be ok.
thx

I use Kveik a lot and the airlock has always been enough even fermenting at the top end but if you have had monster brews before use the blow off to be safe.
Ps I still leave my beer for 12 to 14 days as standard brewing 2+2+2 but it can be fermented well before that. You could use just half a pack if its a low ABV as it does not like a over pitch is the consensus of opinions, when I re-use the slurry I only use a couple of teaspoons and that's plenty enough.
I pitch mine at 40c then wrap it up with old towels to keep the heat in and let it freefall in temp. Hope this helps

How is a blow-off tube different to an airlock, in that it still starts with a bit of tube going through the lid of the fermenter and it's the hole that gets blocked, isn't it? Why not just leave the lid loose and tie a clean tea towel over it until fermentation subsides a bit. Or use a fermenter with the appropriate amount of headspace.

How is a blow-off tube different to an airlock, in that it still starts with a bit of tube going through the lid of the fermenter and it's the hole that gets blocked, isn't it? Why not just leave the lid loose and tie a clean tea towel over it until fermentation subsides a bit. Or use a fermenter with the appropriate amount of headspace.
Er …. I’m not too keen on leaving the lid loose and use my blow-off system as a “fit & forget”.

I also try to never use a yeast that is so “active”, or use an FV that is so small, that the CO2 escape hole will be blocked.
:hat:

I don't think I've ever used a blow off tube and don't remember having problems any different from regular yeast. I tend to use farmhouse kveiks.

Good luck! Do you know what type of kveik you're going for and in what type of beer?

As Dutto has said make sure you have enough room in your FV for fermentation is a big one. I have never had a beer climb out of my Ritchie/Wilko style fermenters the only time I have had a climb out was with a 30 bottle wine kit and that was only once but what a mess

Make sure that fermenter is kept in the dark ie away from light.
Greenhouse tend to be hot during day and cooler at night.
I'd ferment indoors and wrap to maintain temp more stable, most activity will be over in 48 hours. I tend to bump temp by 2 degrees once activities nearly over and hold for a couple. Using pet conical in see the yeast drops rapidly once work done and rousing, increased temp has little effect on maintaining activity.
I've never used blow off tube, but lots of headspace or just open fermented.

It’s lalbrew Voss kviek.. gonna be a session ipa
While energetic I havent had any issues with Voss making an escape attempt I mostly brew fairly simple pale ales with it so different grain bills may give different results (also I’m another of the pitch at 40°C wrap in some towels and forget for a couple of days) it’s a great yeast for summer beers.

Back