It's all Munton's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Youngs was where I started as they were the only ones I could get from amazon and would deliver to Portugal. I only tried the Yorkshire bitter but was very impressed. Now I have an account with lovebrewing who post here and they don't do Youngs but do Muntons and Coopers which cover a wide range of the home brew market. My first Coopers is getting bottled on Saturday. Can't wait to have a taste of that next week. 20g of yeast seems a lot. Most cheap kits ship with 6g but I've got a milestone stout that shipped with 10g.

Actually Youngs was where I started as they were the only ones I could get from amazon and would deliver to Portugal. I only tried the Yorkshire bitter but was very impressed. Now I have an account with lovebrewing who post here and they don't do Youngs but do Muntons and Coopers which cover a wide range of the home brew market. My first Coopers is getting bottled on Saturday. Can't wait to have a taste of that next week. 20g of yeast seems a lot. Most cheap kits ship with 6g but I've got a milestone stout that shipped with 10g.

The Young's American Indian Pale Ale is one of their premium kits, it's not a cheap kit, it contains everything you need including Dry Hops and Priming Sugar, they do several more, APA, Red Indian Ale, American Amber Ale, New World Saison, Oaked Rum Ale amd Mocha Porter.

Ballihoo Home Brew Stock them and I also believe that they deliver to Mainland Europe. https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/

HTH

Like a lot of the members here, I spend ages selecting kits to brew. It could be a cheapie like Geordie, or Brewmaker or more expensive like Woodforde's, or even Munton's who have Handcrafted, Conoisseur, etc etc. However, when I delve a little deeper they are ALL made by Munton's. What's going on? As far as ingredients go, on the side of the tin it just says it's malt extract whichever kit you get. I guess my question is, "Is the malt extract you get with a tin of Munton's Connoiseur likely to be the same as in a Geordie?" OK the type of malt might be different but what are you paying more for? How is the quality different? And why don't they list the type of malt or even the strain of yeast they use?

Are the Festival kits (Ritchies) and the various Youngs ranges also Muntons? The connection between kit brands seems difficult to work out - Festival kits and Youngs aren't show in Munton's "other branded kits", although confusingly some of the Muntons brands (Milestone, Woodforde's, St Peters) are shown in the Youngs catalog. Whether that means they're made by the same company, or if they're just distributors isn't clear.

I agree about the Youngs American Craft series kits. I've made the American IPA three times now, and the same for their New World Saison, and found them consistently good. Their Amber Ale and America Pale Ale were also pretty good, but not quite enough to make them again (so far).

Latest posts

Back