Its too hot!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s 34.5C in our garden and that’s in the shade. But I’m having a Summer Lightning ATM and then we get the real stuff tomorrow.

Hope the air con is working in work tonight....
And I hope my stout is ok in the garage...it's finished virtually but was sat at 26c earlier...

Hops and tomatoes suddenly started wilting this afternoon even though they've been getting a good watering every night lately. Quick, give them a drink!
Only just ventured outside, stayed indoors baking to keep out of the sun, must be daft.
Wood-fired pizza outside tonight. Think I'm going to melt!

If you are too hot at night use an electric fan. It does not need to be close to you, better about 3 -6 feet from the bed or in the hallway. Sleep with no bedclothes. If too modest, fold the top sheet in half so your legs are sticking out. If still too hot, damp the sheets with a spray. I learnt this working on ship in Ascension Island with no air-conditioning. No problem!

We have had several fans over the years but this one with 4 thin blades is the best by far the only problem its a bit loud.

1593106308127.png

Fans just blow hot air around. A cheap aircon unit is good investment. just enough to chill one room. Sure we're talking around £300, but some of us would pay that for a finely tailored, rhinestone encrusted pair of brewing shorts.

Fans just blow hot air around.
Nonsense. A fan blowing air over you will cool you unless the air temperature is higher than your body temperature.

If what you meant was that a fan won't cool an empty room, you are correct.

It's getting rather warm in my home office now. Normally it sits about 18-20c, but now it's consistent at 24-26
I love it, my brewing doesn't. Time to look at kviek yeasts again for the summer brews

Nonsense. A fan blowing air over you will cool you unless the air temperature is higher than your body temperature.

If what you meant was that a fan won't cool an empty room, you are correct.
Then why presume I meant what you inaccurately refer to as nonsense?
Let me say it again. Fans just blow hot air around. You got an issue with that?
Not only fans, it would seem.

It's getting rather warm in my home office now. Normally it sits about 18-20c, but now it's consistent at 24-26
I love it, my brewing doesn't. Time to look at kviek yeasts again for the summer brews

While I’m not missing the commute, one downside of working from home is the lack of air conditioning.

Just wait until you start to get into the 40's
Hops and tomatoes suddenly started wilting this afternoon even though they've been getting a good watering every night lately. Quick, give them a drink!
Only just ventured outside, stayed indoors baking to keep out of the sun, must be daft.
Wood-fired pizza outside tonight. Think I'm going to melt!
That is called transpiration, is is a survival mechanism in plants where they release moisture through their leaves faster than the roots can supply leaves. Inspect them again the following morning they are fine after a cool night.

We got up to 33C here today (just outside of Portsmouth), three bottles of mead blew their corks in my shed and soaked the place, I did go outside and shake my fist at the sun but that didn't seem to do much aheadbutt

"Fan" + "Spray of Water with added French Cologne" = "Cool"

Without air-conditioning on the boat, we used the system in France for eight years; and it worked!

Ah, France is like many countries in the world; it has a "Climate". This is where it gets warmer in the summer and colder in the winter.

On the other hand, the UK has "Weather" whereby it can get hot in the winter, cold in the summer and can rain at any time! This is why we moan so much, when the rest of the world mainly accepts their climate and responds accordingly!

Enjoy! athumb..

I'm a teacher currently working with key worker children who'd rather not be there. 30 degree heat takes it into the realm of lunacy.

Just wait until you start to get into the 40's

That is called transpiration, is is a survival mechanism in plants where they release moisture through their leaves faster than the roots can supply leaves. Inspect them again the following morning they are fine after a cool night.
Thanks, yes I'm new to growing tomatoes and vegetables. They looked fine one minute, an hour later their newest top growth was not happy at all. Quickly put them in the shade and gave them a water and they looked OK again a few hours later. It was about 1500 and it gets very hot down by the house, south facing and surrounded by brick, its a bit of an oven!

Fans just blow hot air around. A cheap aircon unit is good investment. just enough to chill one room. Sure we're talking around £300, but some of us would pay that for a finely tailored, rhinestone encrusted pair of brewing shorts.

The problem with these stand alone air con units is they have an outlet pipe similar to a tumble Drier so if it's not properly installed you need to open a window to let the water out.

Latest posts

Back