Its too hot!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with these stand alone air con units is they have an outlet pipe similar to a tumble Drier so if it's not properly installed you need to open a window to let the water out.
You're right. The unit blows chilled air out of the front and the heated air has to be ducted out of the room, ie, through an open window. Which, unless you can find a way of blocking up the rest of the opening, rather defeats the purpose. It's not difficult, though, with a couple of towels or similar. The water condenses in a container inside the unit, which has to be emptied every now and then.
Having said that, it only gets used for about 6 or 7 days in a year when the temperature approaches 40 for days on end and doesn't drop much at night.
I snapped up an Amazon Warehouse Deal a couple of years ago thinking it might allow me to brew more summer beer. The beer's never seen it and now I've discovered kveik! :laugh8:

Could you put the air con outlet pipe into a bucket or does it produce a lot of water when runing

Could you put the air con outlet pipe into a bucket or does it produce a lot of water when runing
The amount of water produced depends on how humid the air is, but a 3-5 litre tank would take hours to fill, if not days, depending on the humidity. The aircon outlet pipe vents hot air, not water and it has to be vented to somewhere outside the room otherwise its a waste of time- you'd have cold air blowing out of the front and hot air blowing out of the pipe.

Every year when we get the inevitable one to two week heat wave I find myself looking at the mini air conditioning units, only to be reminded of all the issues I.e. the outlet pipe,that has being mentioned. That and as much as a pain that the hot weather is at the moment the chances of it lasting more than a week or two are pretty slim. And looking at the forecast today is meant to be the worst of it with it somewhat cooler next week (though doesn’t feel much consolation when I am in a hot small spare bedroom working all day.

Ah well upside is I have a keg of Red IPA in the fridge ready for 4 o’clock.

My mum was a Kiwi and she would open the windows at night to cool the house and then keep all windows closed in the day when the air outside was warmer than the air inside. It's how the wineries in California keep their warehouse cool.

If it ever gets too hot for SWMBO then I have one of these on the list of "things to get with a portable air-con".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOYOOO-Air...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
I reckon it would beat the hell out of a couple of towels!

PS

Opening the window results in a lovely breeze through the house ... athumb..

... but the need for a fly-swat has been proved time and again! :confused:
Looks a bit of a faff to me. I just grab the nearest available towel.
1593177118443.png

My Mrs has just had one of those portable Aircon units for her shop..although ideally it needs the pipe putting through a semi closed window etc the windows are a bit high...she runs it against a slightly open door for the hot air to escape. It's brought the room down from "too hot" to "very nice..made a massive difference"..

Thanks, yes I'm new to growing tomatoes and vegetables. They looked fine one minute, an hour later their newest top growth was not happy at all. Quickly put them in the shade and gave them a water and they looked OK again a few hours later. It was about 1500 and it gets very hot down by the house, south facing and surrounded by brick, its a bit of an oven!
When we got to 45 C everything in my garden died, I was at work so couldn't do anything to help them. The guy across the road covered his tomatoes with heavy duty shade cloth with water spraying from a fan keeping them cool. He gave me tomatoes that year and I saved the seeds from one tomato and the following year gave him a load of plants back.

When we got to 45 C everything in my garden died, I was at work so couldn't do anything to help them. The guy across the road covered his tomatoes with heavy duty shade cloth with water spraying from a fan keeping them cool. He gave me tomatoes that year and I saved the seeds from one tomato and the following year gave him a load of plants back.
What a great guy (both of you)!
My tomatoes aren’t in very large pots, so I’ve now taken to watering them morning and evening if it’s going to be a scorcher.
‘Fortunately’ I’m able to keep a close eye on all the growing things round the house as I currently don‘t have anything as ‘inconvenient’ as work at the moment (wish I did)!

Working in an 90's built civil service building, like a green house, no windows open on the ground floor, which has italian conditioning, that noboby has been able to get working for at least 11 summers since I worked there.
We are closed to the public so no doors open, and to compound the suffering they order mobile air con units as soon as it hits 30c, which normally turn up around september, you really couldn't write a comedy sketch about it, they only collected the bloody air con units from last year in feb.
But, as a good stoic, I love to see the hilarious side of all this... for 11 years straight aheadbutt

33C here today. The sun has just come around to face the side of the house where I work so it's curtains closed, fan on and TGIF.

Latest posts

Back