Its too hot!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Chippy_Tea 25c? A pleasant summers day. It's been about 30C most of the time for the past couple of weeks in London

I work as a community support worker so am out and about around the borough I work in, for most of my time. I'm enjoying the hot weather as I know I'll be moaning about the cold in the winter. The only thing is going on public transport in particular buses which I like ovens. Which I have to get a lot of when I travel between clients/with clients. Where I can I've been catching the train about the borough to minimise the time I'm in a stuffy overheated box.
Going home If I'm not cycling (which I'm not at the mo as I've had a bit of a flare up of my long standing back problem recently) I've been waiting for the train that is air conditioned (rather than the older ones that aren't) to get to Clapham Junction. I'm ok from then on home as all London Overground line trains are air conditioned

Well, the beginning of last week I was getting my hay crop in and on friday we were shearing our sheep. So as far as I'm concerned from now on I'll be hiding in the cool indoors with a tankard of homebrew at my elbow until further notice...

Cwrw666 bringing in the hay crop

aidan-turner-scything.jpg

I hope it's raining cats and dogs the next time I'm off. Would give almost anything for a thunderstorm right now whilst waiting for autumn. Ye - roll on October...

A thunderstorm would be great to clear the air then a few weeks of dull but dry 15c would do for me.

Myqul Last time I was on a train it run on coal I wouldn't have a clue if ours now have air con.

I was off last week, off this week - so enjoying it with plenty of beer and home brew days.
Will have done 2 beers, 2 ciders and put on several batches of wine before the week is out.

[emoji295]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Times like these that I enjoy working nights, only down side is when the rig air con can't get the room below 25c and they expect you to be able to sleep...

Myqul Last time I was on a train it run on coal I wouldn't have a clue if ours now have air con.

My Uncle George (still with us at 90 years old) was a Fireman on the old coal fuelled steam trains. A few years back I was discussing rail travel with him after a visit to the Railway Museum in York when he pointed out a couple of things about being a Fireman.

In the old days the carriages had a brass quadrant with a big brass handle in front of it. Engraved on the quadrant were the words "Cold - Warm - Hot" but in winter no amount of moving that handle towards the "Hot" section would make a blind bit of difference to the often freezing air within the carriage.
  • "That's not really surprising." said Uncle George. "On a cold winter's night, the first thing the Fireman did was to disconnect the steam line to the heating system because it used so much steam; and the Fireman had to work harder to maintain the pressure!"
He carried on with:
  • "You have to remember that it may say things like 'This engine is fifty horsepower.' but in reality it was powered by one man and a shovel."
Happy Days! :thumb:

I wish I knew this was coming, I wouldn't have spent near 3k on our annual holiday to turkey in a few weeks. I love the heat and sun as I'm a taxi driver and air-con is always there if needed, I feel for those with physical jobs or kitchen staff etc in this heat though.

I remember that but not sure if we had the standpipes up here was it nationwide?

No stand pipes in our area either. I seem to remember seeing them on the news in some areas though.
I can remember getting a clip for having melted tar on my clothes and skin from the tar bombs (melted tar wrapped around a lolly ice stick) we used to make.
Happy days.

Didn't have stand pipes round here, so I think it can't have been nationwide.

Probably not, but we had them in sunny S.Yorks. There was a few on our street which some geezer came and turned on for an hour or so, so it was a case of get what you can whilst you can. Also remember the dude across the road getting busted for using a hosepipe before they put standpipes up... he was the mayor, lol! And ye I remember the ladybirds. Talking of which there's an ever-increasing number of them on my hop plant. No greenfly! Hope history ain't about to repeat. Roll on October...

Other countries have a "climate" but we have "weather" which results in:
  1. The possibility of all four seasons in a day.
  2. A nation of moaning gits who can discuss the weather for hours on end.
Back in the 90's, a niece who lives in Musselburgh told us "If it's fine when you arrive we'll have a barbecue outside."

When we arrived there was wall-to-wall sun, not a cloud in the sky, the temperature was in the mid 20's and we were invited to sit at the dining room table for lunch.

I asked what had happened to the promised barbecue and received the answer "It has been perfect weather for the last three days now so I expected it to be raining by the time you got here!"

That was in June and as far as I recall, that year there was no significant rain in Scotland until sometime in October! :thumb:

This perpetual heat. Now turning into a red-eyed, ill-tempered wreck. Ye - even more so than normal. Looks like there's another ten days of this to endure, at least. Will I make it? Dunno. At least the days are shortening. One minute and twenty one seconds less daylight today than yesterday, and the pace is accelerating. Roll on October...

Ha! First question to the woman..."what's it like now you've been turned back on again..?
Wonder how many years since the other time she was turned on?

Back