Its too hot!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It hit 36*C today in the garden in the shade (via my Inkbird thingy). On days like this we stay indoors. At the mo (6.20pm) its clouded over but it still 29.6*C. The house is hot. Meh!
Anyone south of Watford considering having a brew day with a 'normal' yeast without temperature control is advised to postpone.

My mum, who was a Kiwi, insisted that we kept the doors and windows closed on hot days but open in the cool of the night. This really works. Why open the windows when it's hotter outside than in?

I have been telling SWMBO this for years and she always says I'm talking out of my ****.

I hate flies so my windows are rarely open.

Another good tip is to close the curtains if the sun is shining directly at the window (another tip SWMBO ignores)

Dear Mrs Tea

He’s right, listen to him (about this at least.....!)

Your’s sweatily

The Home Brew Forum

I have been telling SWMBO this for years and she always says I'm talking out of my a**e.

I hate flies so my windows are rarely open.

Another good tip is to close the curtains if the sun is shining directly at the window (another tip SWMBO ignores)

Why oh why do the SWMBO's of this world insist on opening an outside door or windows without checking the status of the other doors and windows in the house?

Apart from the potential damage and the rude awakening, I swear that the noise of a door slamming in the wind is much worse than a Hoover or a baby crying!

Yesterday, the wind-speed in Sleaford was "gusting to 31 mies per hour" and SWMBO decided to open the conservatory French Windows and hold them ajar with a 1.5kg door-stop. aheadbutt aheadbutt

The "BANG!" as an inner slammed shut got me out of my chair in time to save the situation before we needed two new French windows in the conservatory.

Why oh why do the SWMBO's of this world insist on opening an outside door or windows without checking the status of the other doors and windows in the house?

Yesterday, the wind-speed in Sleaford was "gusting to 31 mies per hour"

Perhaps it's a Sleaford thing, my wife is originally from Sleaford and she has some odd door/window opening and closing habits, she seems awfully fond of slamming doors too...maybe there's a connection...😄

39.8C under the parasol on the terrace yesterday afternoon. Dug out the Fuggles Pilsner and my classic Pilsn Pilsner and had a bit of a side by side. Decided the Pilsn Pilsner was better and that the next Fuggles Pilsner will be made with that malt profile and yeast substituting fuggles for saaz. How the warm weather stimulates the brain and leads to giant strides forward in the advancement of science!
Finished Lars Garshol's book and thoroughly enjoyed every page. Next project is brewing a batch or two of Vossaøl as soon as I can identify and nick some common juniper sprigs.

39.8C under the parasol on the terrace yesterday afternoon. Dug out the Fuggles Pilsner and my classic Pilsn Pilsner and had a bit of a side by side. Decided the Pilsn Pilsner was better and that the next Fuggles Pilsner will be made with that malt profile and yeast substituting fuggles for saaz. How the warm weather stimulates the brain and leads to giant strides forward in the advancement of science!
Finished Lars Garshol's book and thoroughly enjoyed every page. Next project is brewing a batch or two of Vossaøl as soon as I can identify and nick some common juniper sprigs.

There's an android (and probably apple) app called PictureThis, which you can use to take a photo of the plant and it'll tell you what it is. It's incredibly accurate too.

It does a whole 'you can only identify a certain number a day without paying' thing, but there are lots of legit ways around it.

There's an android (and probably apple) app called PictureThis, which you can use to take a photo of the plant and it'll tell you what it is. It's incredibly accurate too.

It does a whole 'you can only identify a certain number a day without paying' thing, but there are lots of legit ways around it.
Thanks. I'll look for that app. Apparently there's one variety of Juniper which is poisonous and needs to be avoided.

36c in parts of the country already 🥵

Its showing 23c max here for the day and i hope they have got it right.

Latest posts

Back