I've broken my brewing virginity!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockley

Reaction score
First ever brew today, doing a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, recipe said Pre-Boil Gravity 1050, refractometer showed 1049 so I was happy. It all seemed to be going so well.....

When I went to read the OG, which recipe states as 1056, the refractometer, despite numerous attempts, wasn't having it, it appeared to be off the scale (right at the top). I used the hydrometer instead and this appears to be reading about 1065.

Any idea why the refractometer wouldn't work?
Is the OG very/too high?
Should I be worried? ( I am anyway !! )

Cheers
hydrometer.jpg

Hello!
Did you calibrate your refractometer? What units does it use - Brix, Plato, SG? What’s the scale? 0-32%
Let us know what kind of refractometer you’re using and I’m sure someone will know what’s going on.
Brew looks good!

he refractometer, despite numerous attempts, wasn't having it, it appeared to be off the scale
Did you pour on a hot sample and then leave the window open for it to cool? If yes then the water evaporates and the sample gets stronger and stronger. Gash Slugg takes a sample with a pipette and drops the bulb in cold or ice water to cool it quicky then drops some onto the screen. Wipe the screen and window between uses. I just lick both and rub it on my shirt.

Hello!
Did you calibrate your refractometer? What units does it use - Brix, Plato, SG? What’s the scale? 0-32%
Let us know what kind of refractometer you’re using and I’m sure someone will know what’s going on.
Brew looks good!

It's only a £20 Amazon special, it shows the OG

Did you pour on a hot sample and then leave the window open for it to cool? If yes then the water evaporates and the sample gets stronger and stronger. Gash Slugg takes a sample with a pipette and drops the bulb in cold or ice water to cool it quicky then drops some onto the screen. Wipe the screen and window between uses. I just lick both and rub it on my shirt.

Ah, could be it .It was a hot sample (or at least warm), about 25 degrees.

The OG could be showing high if your boil off rate was more than allowed for in the recipe. Same sugar in less volume would mean higher gravity.

How high does the scale on your refractometer? Is it a limited range, that tops out at less than 1.065?

Latest posts

Back