I've found a Land Rover key. What should I do?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
The first thought was to find which vehicle it fitted and run off the tank of diesel on the dirt roads around home.
Seriously, you lose resale value if you don't have both keys so it is of value to it's owner. I was walking my dog in the woods and it looked like it hadn't been there long but there were no vehicle that opened in the parking are nearby. They must have used their other key to get home. I have put it on a local lost and found Facebook page and put it on my own page. Thing is the police make it quite clear on their web page that they're not interested in lost property. Are there any other ways I could reunite it with the owner? Could a Land Rover dealer identify which car it fits? After all they stick your key in a machine these days and it tells them you need new brake pads, even though they look like brand new. Rip off merchants. Any ideas

Could a Land Rover dealer identify which car it fits?

If its a modern key i would be very surprised if they couldn't and the replacement could be many pounds so the owner will be very happy to get it back.

Have you put a notice up in the car park nearby.I must say it's nice of you to do what you have done

+1 to @terrym suggestion. I'll bet these days they can plug the key into a machine and ID the car and hence the registered owner.

First I've heard of the police not being interested in lost property. I've taken loads of stuff I've found to them over the years, including keys and they've always taken them in.

A dealer might take the key from you and if they're 100% honest, they might even reunite it with the owner.
If they're not 100% honest, they might just use it to steel a car.
They're unlikely to provide you with a name and address for the owner for very obvious reasons.
The police are probably your best bet - I can't see them having the recourses to trace the owner but they might log it on a national database.

A dealer can cut a new key for a vehicle but they won't have a method to read the key itself or then look up the vehicle from that. There would be no reason to have the system available and access to that kind of data is restricted for obvious reasons.

I'd drop off at police station. If they were reluctant ask for their superior as it may be the keys were stolen and discarded.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dealer can cut a new key for a vehicle but they won't have a method to read the key itself or then look up the vehicle from that.

A guy at work has a BMW and when he takes his car in for any work they put it in a key reader and that gives them lots of info I do not know if it has customer details on it.

Latest posts

Back